1976 PENTON 400

Started by Rain Man, June 26, 2004, 08:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain Man

I bought this bike today and have a lot of questions about it.  Its got a high breather on it which surprised me and the tail section is not like my 1976 250 mc5.  The gas tank is fiberglass with a leather strap. I'm not sure if this bike was strictly designed for closed course moto's, Hare scrambles or just a stripped down Enduro woods weapon. Its in pristine condition and theres no mud on it?  
   Ive been kicking bikes since the early 70's, does this thing have a compression release available? I did get it to fire without doing any thing to it ( not dum just anxious)Gotta tear into it to check for mice nests tomorrow.  Any info on this bike would be great, It does look like it has a spark arrestor of some sorts on it.
Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Rain Man

come on guys, I know its Sunday but gee wilikers, Its got to be either an Mc5, which I doubt or a GS model. There was only two model Pentons made, or was there another?
Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Rocket

If it is a frame breather and the frame is similar to the MC5, you have a GS6.  What color tank?  What kind of forks?
Rocket

rob w

Raymond, A 1976 Cross Country, see "Production Year Guide". In '76 the enduro model had a high-breather frame same as the '75's (multi-shock positioning swingarm, fibreglass airbox). In '77 the enduro bikes had a new design frame, it was a cross between the high-breather front end and a MC5 rear end (only it had a rear frame loop to support the rear fender), single position for rear shocks, and aluminum airbox. What do you have for a frame number?
Bob

If it has the high-breather top tube frame, it can not be a MC5.

Rain Man

It has an orange fiberglass tank and theres no rear frame loop. I believe the forks are cerreani.  I suspect its a cross country model. Where this is leading to is there a difference in the gear ratios inside the transmission?
I wasen't aware of a cross country model, which I believe it is.  Thanks guys,now if I can only get the moto splat to work:(
Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Rain Man

oops, there is a rear frame loop, and the fenders mounted to it, the MC5 had the fender mounted under the seat, just waking up [:I]
Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons