Carb tuning

Started by ehletra, June 26, 2004, 09:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehletra

Hi I have a six day and it use to run great but now it runs good after you start it and 2 minits later it starts acting up and kills and back fires. I know the carb is way off. does any one know where any BING 54 carb tuning info is or can some body send me some @ [email protected]
Thanx

Travis

Steve Minor

Have you contacted Bing directly? I found them to be most helpful!

Here is their web site:

http://www.bingcarburetor.com/

1977 400 GS6 (Bought New)
1977 125 GS6 (Project)
1978 400 MC5 (Project)
Steve Minor

firstturn

Travis,
  I think your problem may not be in the carburetor.  While it is running fine does it have very clean sound and then start to act up??  Don't start messing with the carburetor until you answer this question.  We will walk you through this and try to help you.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

cardojr

travis- a quick check for your carb is to drop the float bowl after it craps out-you may be running out of fuel if your float needle is stuck or your float is set too low. The needle may let in enough gas to fill your bowl after the bike sits for a time, but cannot keep up while the bike is running. Ron is right in saying to not mess with the jetting or air screw adjustments until the base problem is found.
good luck & keep us updated
rob

Steve Minor

I agree with Rob and Ron.....While it wouldn't hurt to inspect the carb, I wouldn't start changing things out without a better diagnosis of the problem...

1977 400 GS6 (Original owner)
1977 125 GS6 (Project)
1978 400 MC5 (Project)
Steve Minor

tmc3c

Travis has told me that he has just gotten a electronic ignition from Donny at PENTON WEST and what I think is that something isn't lined up right with it,possible timing off is what I think,BUT I can be way wrong that is why I am stating this.I hope you don't mind that I posted this Travis. I know how it feels to be so CLOSE and thanks to my friends here I am riding tomorrow!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

ehletra

Well I Know I got the timing perfect because there is great info on
//www.ktm495.mxbikes.com/motoplat.htm
so I know thats fine  It has been leaning out I think because the float is to low How I know is that is sometimes I had to choke it when it was warm but now its so bad it wont run the engine is all free and it still has good compresson if I hit the trikerler on the carb tell it over flows then it well run for a little bit. What should I do raise the float?
Thomas I dont realy care what you say because its all  helping me!! Thanks Travis
PS is any one near Fort Atkinson WI that could help me and know what there doing please email me.

firstturn

Travis,
  Please e-mail me and I will go over setting your float.

[email protected]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

ehletra

well i know how to bend the tab and all I just need to know what positon to put in

firstturn

Travis,
  To start with make it stop putting gas into the bowl when the floats are parallel to the bottom of the carburetor (when the float bowl is off).  You are set up with messenger now so anytime I am on line I will answer your questions.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

ehletra

dirtbike

To me it sounds like a float problem but it could very well be an ignition problem too. Don't forget to rule out the gas tank vent, connection and hose.

I'm sure you will get excellent help with the float height. A real uncorrect float height adjustment (but quick check) is to blew air into the gas hose. Manually rasie the floats until it's closed, then press the tickler and make sure that the final 1/3 of the tickler movement opens the float needle letting you blow air in again.

Rain Man

I may be mistaking here, but arent Bing 54's found on 400's? I know my recent bike has a 54 and my 1972 six day 125 has a 27.
Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tmc3c

It could be a problem I had and that was the gas cap wasn't venting . Travis when you crank the bike and it is sitting at idle take the gas cap off and see if it runs without stalling. If it does then it is the gas cap,which is just what happened to me. I took muratic acid and mixed 4 parts water with 1 part muratic acid and soaked the cap and this solved my problem.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rain Man

OOh Thomas, lessee muriatic acid, sulfuric acid and one more ingrediant and we can call it the Penton 125 TNT

Raymond
Limington Me.
Raymond
 Down East Pentons