MID OHIO TRAIL RIDE

Started by Rain Man, July 09, 2004, 07:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain Man

I know theres some interest on this subject. I see some adds for Enduros and trail rides in the magazines and monthly publications, so I know theres some trails in Ohio. Is there a possibility of maybe next year getting some form of ride togehter? It dosent have to be a 100 mile enduro, just a "fun get some mud in your eye trail ride"
  Maybe something the day before?  [8D]

Raymond
Limington Me.
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

rich allison

I live about 35-40 miles east of Mid-ohio,right in the middle of Amish country. My family owns a 380 acre farm with plenty of 4-wheeler trails on it. lots of room to park trailers or trucks. we even have a small cabin we rent out for the weekends or weekly that sits beside alarge pond. I have been trying to put together all of the sections of an enduro they ran here inthe late sixties. Part of it came through our farm. I talked to an old fellow that rides an old BSA and worked one of the checkpoints and can remember John Penton running here. As long as you have a ATV sticker you can ride the township and county roads to get tosme of the section that are still open.

richard j allison
Rich

tmc3c

Hey Raymond & Rich, Boy that sure sounds fun !! maybe we could set up a ride just for us Penton riders !! Like how I said WE ...When I live in S.C. !!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

rich allison

I think the original enduro loop was 50-70 miles. I think i can put together 25-30 miles of trails. We have some old strip mines here we can play in also.Would love to put something like this together if anybody would be interested for next year.

richard j allison
Rich

tmc3c

A poker run could be fun !

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

rich allison

Don't know how poker runs work but there are enough backroads and trails to ride 5 or6 hours. I'm just now starting on my first restor. I haven't worked on or played on a bike in 25 years. hopefully i'll have it done by then.

richard j allison
Rich

Rain Man

I know theres been some mention of a trail ride before mid Ohio  among the Pog members.  A 25 or 30 mile trail ride sounds fun to me. Rich, this wouldn't be the first time a 2 or 3 rider group turned into something bigger. If you can play trail master, I think this can and will happen.  Thanks, volunteers make every trail ride happen, and Im quite sure they'll be others willing to support a Penton ride.
  Its just hard for anyone that lives hundreds of miles away to  contribute to getting this idea on the trail:)

Raymond
Limington Me.
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

rich allison

I'll do a little legwork and try to talk to few farmers and put together some actual mileage.You guys let me know how far you want to ride,its been a while since i've rode anything but a 4-wheeler.Iknow there are some trails open because my old mechanic from Mathias Cycle and some of his Bultaco budddies has been riding them.

richard j allison
Rich

tmc3c

A poker run works something like this: You lay a course out and you sign up and you get a buss.card and you tape it to your handlebar and you ride the course and on the trail you have a three checkpoints and at each check you get a certain kind of hole punched in your card. You have one check at the start and 1 in the middle and 1 one the backside of the course and after the run if you have a card with the right kind of punches in your card you get to draw numbers out of 5 coffee can's and the total high amount wins the run so it becomes luck and it makes for a lot easier ride. People can go slow,fast or stop it doesn't matter just so long you finish, Also who ever has the lowest amount of point's can be ragged on etc.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

swamp fox

Another twist on the poker run: There have been some here with street bikes, and at every checkpoint, you get a playing card, and the one with the best hand wins. Like TC said, it's not all about the speed, but the fun and comraderie. And also the beer at the end![:p]

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

Rain Man

I feel this idea should be brought up at the next POG meeting on saturday 7/17/04. I suspect there will be  a lot of support to set the whole idea in motion. Rich, if you got the trails, and the permission, and it sounds like you got enough room to camp out, I think all we need to do is bring the bikes and the spark plugs!!

Raymond
Limington Me.
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tmc3c

Bobby, One time back in the 70's my father put on a poker run in Bear Swamp which is now Shadowmoss but anyway 1 guy made it to the first check point and found out what type of playing cards we were using went and bought a deck and made his own hand. My mother was at a section of the course with a camera and this guy never came through there and when he came in at the end of the run his bike was clean as was himself.The section where my mom was is on Savanah Hwy before you get to Main Rd. going to Johns Island at the overpass that goes over the train tracks the course went down between the bridges,Man you couldn't get away with that sort of thing now but like I say that was when Men were Men, they would ride Harleys down through the swamp Honda 305 Super Hawks, Triumphs,and what ever else had tires on them.I think the saying goes: That was when Men were Men and the bikes were junk ! I do know that a Honda 305 Super Hawk will fly once a little rubbing is done to them ! But that is a whole different story.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

rich allison

I'm not going to be able to make it next weekend to Mid Ohio because of a wedding in balt. md. I was hoping the bride had seen the movie runaway bride and save me the trip. If somebody wants to bring this up at the  P.O.G. meeting thats fine and I can probably come to the Aug. meeting in Amherst.Maybe some thought on how long everybody wants to ride. Would be able to clean the bikes at our plumbing shop there on the farm, also have a small pavillion back at our cabin to maybe sip some refreshments and talk about how fast we used to be.

richard j allison
Rich

tmc3c

What was said about this run being on for next year ? I was there but I was standing around in awe most of the weekend and I was wondering if I missed something?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

generalbay

Count me in,I would be interested in attending.
David Duval