wet spot (questions)

Started by Dave H., May 17, 2001, 01:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave H.

Both of my '72 125's  leave a wet spot on the garage floor. I don't remember this happening when they were new. I know it is seeping out of the space between the kick starter shaft and the shifter shaft past the 'O' ring, but if I tighten it up any more, the the kick starter hangs up and won't return home...how the heck is that much oil getting up there anyway?

Also, I've always wondered about the usefullness of the oil-level inspection screw located near the clutch cable access cover on the left side of the engine...what is it for?  With the required 600cc (or a pint) of oil in the transmission, that screw is well submerged. On the other hand, if the transmission was only filled till it ran out the hole, I doubt there'd be enough oil in the tranny to keep the gears wet.
Baffled in Seattle

Den

I had the same problem.  It was the 30 year old oil seal for the shift shaft located in the left side case.  Cheap to fix.

Dave H.

Nope, I rebuilt both engines, and the shaft seals were replaced too. I'm sure the oil is weeping out from the inner/outer shaft space, past the O ring. I've tried different O rings too, but haven't been successful.
  I think the two Penton's are anoyed about the Honda XR250R that shares the garage with them and are marking their turf. :-P
Any body else's 125 do this??

Edited by - Dave H. on 05/20/2001  11:48:03 AM