Penton Owners...a funny bunch

Started by nwwr100cs, July 25, 2004, 03:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cappy

KTM96duke,
Talk about funny....how about saving the $50 and just replying to my emails of where my forks are that paid for back in May.  All I ask is your reply to my emails!
Thanks,
John
PS... Ron, Donny and the rest sorry for having to air dirty laundry out on this forum!

John Cappel

John Cappel

swamp fox

I'll jump on the bandwagon here and say that I agree with Ron. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I went to Mid-Ohio this year and met some great people, and if they are "a funny bunch", then I'm a part of "the funny bunch" also. They have such a love for these bikes, that they will look for the most perfect example to aquire, whether to keep as original, or to make a museum masterpiece. I also agree with Larry; you don't really want to sell to family or friends, because you know in your heart you can get more from outside the circle. I recently aquired a Six Day from an old friend that needed some significant work, and he wanted more than I thought it was worth. Our mutual love for the marque let me take this bike home to get the work and respect that he knew I would give it. All in all, it boils down to the old addage: "One man's trash is another man's treasure"

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

Mick Milakovic

Blue Dog and others...

WOW! is that a record price for a Jackpiner?  The only other question I have is how "original" is the bike?  It looks like an awesome example of originality, but when it comes to ebay I always wonder how much of it is "restored"?

Mick

nwwr100cs

OK-so everyone has a "bent"on this..I still don't understand why a running Jackpiner with fresh fork rebuild,new shocks,new tires,new chain,new cables in good running condition won't sell for more than $800.00.  As for the so called Six Day tank if you gentlemen strip the blue paint off your Jackpiners you'll find green gel coat underneath.  That doesn't make it unoriginal, maybe I should paint it blue again so it will seem original?  As far as the "funny" goes
how do so many who ride a non common bike made for a few years get the impression that funny is a blasphemy?  No insult intended but I assume some was taken.

OUCWBOY

nwwr100cs.
You are mistaken about the Jackpiner tanks. Orignial Jackpiner tanks were all blue gel coat. Not painted blue over green. If you have a blue tank with green under it, guess what. That's a Six Day Tank.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

rob w

If you try to strip the blue off of a real 'Piner, you won't find 'Jack......it will be blue, through and through......now you're funny too. [:o)] :D

Larry Perkins

Hate to burst the bubble boys but some Jackpiners and Harescramblers tanks and airboxes were another color underneath because there were extras that were used.  Just another example of being efficient and useing what was available at the moment.

Larry

firstturn

Rob,
  You know those Humour Class are really working, but I think you started a whole new line of "Jack...." stories and jokes.  GOOD.  Thanks again for all the goodies at Mid-Ohio.  Great work on the side cover!

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

Larry is right, and that was true even on the steel tanks.  But, I guess I fell into nwwr100cs's trap and I am part of the "funny bunch" because I like Rob's reply.  I hope Mr. NWWR100CS finds his way to ebay and sells his bike and that it makes his life a lot happier.
  I'm on my way to strip the NOS Jackpiner tank I bought from Larry some time back.  Wish me luck, or Rob was right when it comes to "real 'Piner tanks".  We'll see[:o)].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

nwwr100cs

Re: Donny-this is where the "funny" comes in.  What is a fuel tank...a vessel to hold fuel-correct?  If the tank is the same size,shape and is proper then why would that constitute a "non" original and lessen the value.  Other posts have stated that some of the tanks of that year have a different gel coat, so........now YOU funny too!:D Responses welcome-I have band aids for feet that get stepped on.

OUCWBOY

Never said you were funny. I did read Larry's post about the tanks being painted over. I perssonally have NEVER seen that, but Larry has seen more Pentons than I have. I have only encountered about 20 Jackpiners that have passed through my hands, and I must say that all 20 were blue gel coat, not painted over. I do know that they did paint some of the early Steel Tanks, but have never seen a fiberglass tank painted over that was stock. Doesn't mean there weren't any, just I've never seen them. Send that band aid. [8D]

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

DKWRACER

Poggers "funny people"???
Gather this..."the fishins so good, I done jumped in after the pole"[:p]
I'll take this one as a compliment!!!![^]
Thomas Brosius

penton117

My two cents:
nwwr100cs is probably right when he sees Pentons selling for higher prices elsewhere. The people on this site who know these bikes well and have an understanding of what it takes to make them right(both monetarily and time-wise) will probably balk at paying top-dollar for a bike that the purists among us would view as only half-done. Most of us have found out the hard way that if the first 90% of the project take 90% of your cash, the final 10% of the project usually requires an additional 90% of your cash!

Also, I don't think the 'Piner commands quite the price as a comparable 125cc, 250cc or 400cc, as in most vintage motocross clubs there is no class for them to race.

Finally, if someone were looking for just a good 'rider' nwwr100cs's bike would probably be priced about right. Most folks here are generally looking for 'parts doaner' bikes to finish other projects or a fully restored bike for their collections.

OK, sermon over.    

nwwr100cs

WOW-Cool-I didn't intend this to be a "hot topic" but the file is flaming....shows we're all alive and kickin':D

bildough

I think that POGGERS might have a better handle on what the relative value is on Pentons. In the last 2 months I have obtained a 125 for $3,000 a 100 Berkie for $8,000  both from the same POG member,  and a JP for $800. The 100 is a showroom piece, the 6 day is cherry and the JP is a racer, complete and ready to ride. All have different intrinsic values. The only bike I think I might have overpaid for is the JP. I think maybe "funny" wasnt the word you were looking for. Possibly it was "informed"

Bill Cappel