seeking info on "Mettco Penton"

Started by OhioTed, July 30, 2004, 09:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OUCWBOY

Keith,
The name you are refering to is Harrington. He rode for Penton Central, I think. There were a ton of fast guys that rode for them.
Ron Carbaugh knows the real facts on this one.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

atk114

Donnie,

Thanks. I thought it was one or the other. When I get home, I'm going through some of my old magazines, and get his first name. I have a old MXA and Dirt Rider magazine that features an article on the 125 World Cup. It's funny how his name gets lost in these talks. Everyone remembers Bruce McDougal, Chuck Bower, Danny LaPorte, & Ray Lopez, but I 've not seen Mr. Harrington's name mentioned before, and he finished 4th in that race.

What about other MX riders sponsored by Penton. I remember Buck Murphy, but can't think of anyone else. Who else remembers other MX riders sponsored by Penton?

Keith R. Larson
Keith R. Larson

OUCWBOY

Keith,
I'm sure the reason you don't see (Mark?) Harrington's name that often is because he was from Texas, and those magazines were all written and published in California. The other guys are all from CA. There were faster or just as fast riders from the Midwest, North, East and South but they didn't get the coverage that the CA boys did.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

clayman

There were several riders from Washington State aboard Pentons in the early-to-mid '70s, but Buck Murphy was THE MAN! He placed very well in the Supercross Series and outdoor nationals. Another was Ken Buirley from Oregon. Ken was one of the top Northwest Pros in an era of Chuck Sun/Rick Burgett/Jim Pomeroy, but he ended up moving to So. Cal., I believe. Maybe Donny remembers him? Ken raced a steel tanker, then went on to ride a 1972 125.

Clay Light
Redmond, OR.

OUCWBOY

Hello Clay,
The only thing I know about the West coast riders is what I saw when we came out here a couple of times. I know all the fast guys from the OK, TX, KS and AR area.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

imported_n/a

Quotequote:Originally posted by Larry Perkins

Ted,
Talk to Donny Smith at [email protected].  I think he knows Bruce and Danny LaPorte both if I remember right.  Donny knows a good deal about the Metco bikes I think.  You can also search for Bruce at the AHRMA.org website as he is a AHRMA racer/member.  Very Fast then-Very Fast now.

imported_n/a

Quotequote:Originally posted by Larry Perkins

Ted,
Talk to Donny Smith at [email protected].  I think he knows Bruce and Danny LaPorte both if I remember right.  Donny knows a good deal about the Metco bikes I think.  You can also search for Bruce at the AHRMA.org website as he is a AHRMA racer/member.  Very Fast then-Very Fast now.

tomale

Buck murphy still lives up this way. I had seen him a little over a year ago at the season opener for our winter series. He did not ride but brought some kids who did. when asked if he was going to ride he shied away from giving a direct answer. As I understand it he had crashed pretty hard the year before and was still on the mend. I was told he was at the Hammer and Tong this summer but I did not see him. by the way Jim Pomeroy and his brother were there as well. Jim crashed a few weeks before and messed up his knee so he did not ride but instead played the role of MC and everyone had a great time. It was hot and the track was awesome. It reminded me more of the tracks of California. Hardpack... but with plenty of fast down hills to scare even the craziest of us.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

lobo6y

Buck  usually races the AHRMA National at Chehalis each year.  

He also came down to the final west coast AHRMA Ntional this year at Tulre ( acouple weeks ago).  He rode the open traction TT on Saturday in addition to Sunday's MX,  and rode Marsh Runyon's KR Harley in the Main (with absolutely NO practice!), and was pure entertainment to watch.

Cheers, Dave J.

olgoose

Sorry guys, I replied to the seeking info on Mettco Penton, but posted it as a new forum (Ray Lopez) While we are on the subject, Donny Emler's "Penda" was i believe called a "Pendapp". It was a Penton frame with a Zundapp highly tuned motor.

David Duarte
David Duarte loomis, Ca.

firstturn

Dave,
  There could have been another project, but the Penton/Honda project was a Penda.  Roger Sanderson built the pipe and remembers the project well.   If the was a Pendapp I will look through my library as well as any other information you come up with please let us know.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

olgoose

Hi Ron, I cannot remember a Penton/Honda project with Uncle Donny. That does not mean it did not exist, just brain fade on my part.The Penton/Zundapp thing i do remember. It won many races with(brain fade) aboard. I will call Emler and ask him to refresh my aging memory. Dave

David Duarte
David Duarte loomis, Ca.

firstturn

Dave,
  I actually met you many moons ago.  I will try and look up the article on the Penda...can't remember the magazine...brain fade, you know.  Tell Uncle Donny Hi.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OhioTed

David, if you do happen to speak with Donny Elmer, would you mind asking him if he has any facts to share concerning the original Mettco Penton team?  We're still trying to find out more about the team's origin, structure, and the modifications made to the bikes.  So far, lots of tidbits have come to light, but we need more in order to assemble a complete story with which to honor and document the Mettco effort.  TED

olgoose

Ron, uncle Donny refreshed my memory on the "Penda" That came sometime after the "Pendapp". Donny was helped by Penton West(Fred Moxley) in the early seventies. Fred was not all that pleased with the Zundapp motor thing and asked him to park it, which he did.The Penda project came after Moxley left Penton West. Ray Lopez won that first 125 national with the Penton motor. Other riders for Emler were Tim Hart and Billy Payne. Ray lopez did not go off and build pipes. I had him mixed up with somsbody else.
Ted, Donny does not lend much info on the motors used by Mettco. The team of Mcdougal, Bowers, and Laporte were hot competion for him. I mentioned what Fred Hayes was up to. I am sure he would not mind talking to you about the Mettco team. Ron, did i meet you at Penton Central? If not where? Later

David Duarte
David Duarte loomis, Ca.