Penton/KTM relay team

Started by Auto5guy, August 01, 2004, 07:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auto5guy

On July 25th the second annual Hammer & Tongs vintage motocross race was held, this time at the Eddieville MX park in Goldendale WA.  All of the usual suspects from the VDR winter series were there.

POG members and VDR regulars Tomale and Big Mac were in attendance as was POG member Deek.  This was my first opportunity to meet Dale.  What a great guy.

This year at H&T they ran a Makes Relay Team Challenge.  The rules were that the teams had to consist of 4 members, 2 of whom had to be amature class racers.  All members had to be riding the same brand of bike.  The displacement and year didn't matter, any vintage or evolution bike could be run.

Thom, Jon, Dale and myself had agreed ahead of time to form team Penton/KTM.  Thom and Jon would each be riding their 78 KTM 400s.  Dale would be on his 72 six days and I would be on my 73 Harescrambler.  

The relay challange was held at the half time intermission between motos 1and 2.  Jon blew up his 400 during his first moto.  At first I was worried that our team was done but we reshuffled our teams running order and Jon and Thom shared Thoms 400.

Thirteen teams entered the challange.  Each rider had to complete one lap with an armband.  After each lap the armband had to be relayed from the finishing rider in the finish area to the next rider at the starting area on foot by one of the two team members not riding.  This ended up being a total hoot!!  I was on the third leg and when I came in after my lap I missed the entrance into the finish area and had to leap over a 4 foot berm to get where I needed to go.  

We ended up sixth out of the thirteen teams.  Team Bultaco won the event with Ron Pomeroy(Jim Pomeroys brother) Roger Landburg(our local Bultaco expert rider) and a new guy Eddie Hernandez as an amatuer(we heard rumors that this guy had mucho experience racing somewhere).  

The person I was most impressed with was Dale Walter.  Jon and Thom both put in real solid rides but since I've seen them ride before I've come to expect it from them.  Dale entered the +60 amatuer 125 class and told me he hadn't raced since he was in his twenties.  I thought he might be in for a rough time as he was our first leg.  When the gate dropped a couple of the real hotdogs left the pack but Dale sunk his teeth into the main pack and didn't let them get away.  Great riding Dale!!

The relay was a blast.  If you don't do something like this where you race you should.  It'll have you talking for a long time to come.

Here is a shot of me coming out of the exchange area next to a 400 Husky and contrary to what the other rider says in the accompanying story I beat him out of the first corner.

http://www.siegecraftnw.com/relay_race-56.htm

WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that castor smoke can be hazardous to your health.  It is highly addictive and causes delusions of grandeur.
WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that castor smoke can be hazardous to your health.  It is highly addictive and causes delusions of grandeur.

bildough

Hammer and Tongs was great event and the track is one of the best ever. I encourage anyone who wants a great time to be there next year.

tomale

We did have a great time. you all did a great job, And Dale... you rock Dale finished a 50 mile desert race here a couple of months ago on His DKW The man is as tough as nails.  I tought we did better than 6th though. Not that it matters I thought we did great considering the company we were keeping.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Big Mac

We were one of only 3 teams (I heard) with a 125, but we were the ONLY team with a 125, a +60 rider and a +50 rider...I should not have been surprised we did as well as we did, even hanging with team CZ with their 2 expert riders and admirably fast woman member (one fast chick).

And the really good news is that my '77 400 did NOT blow as I thought it had in Moto 1 afterall...found a little problem when I diagnosed, called OUT OF GAS! That screaming high pitch on the big uphill followed by brooooowww, brooooowww was just plain old lack of petrol. Splashed in some fuel when I got home and started right up....man do I feel stupid. At least my countersprocket didn't fall off. Go team Penton/KTM Northwest!
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

tomale

Mac,
What is the countershaft sprocket comment all about?

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Big Mac

Matthew Auto5Guy had a little issue with a loose countersprocket on the start line at VDR race last Spring...can't let him forget. Check out this pic from the relay of Matt dicing it out of the pits with what looks like poor old Harry Taylor of Hodaka fame. Shame on you Matt!  

http://www.vintagemaicos.com/relay/pages/IMG_6488_JPG.htm
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Big Mac

Ooops, my mistake. That's a wheezy Husky 450 Matt's taking position on...My apologies to Harry Taylor and his hard charging Hodaka.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

deek

Tomale (Thom),BigMac (Jon), Auto5guy (Matt) & Bildough (Bill)

It was a great pleasure to meet all of you at the Hammer & Tong. Had a blast. Brought back memories of the old days. Hope to get to the Woodland before years end. Thanks to you all for the compliments. Still have a ways to go, before I'll be competative though. Been a few years.

Jon was that you, that was cheering me on in my last moto, just before the finish line, if so thanks. Loose bolt on the shifter. Shifter moved inward, so I couldn't get in 3rd, 4th gear. Thom, Jon, Matt, you guys were the ones that got us up in the Team Relay standings, with those big bores and your riding.

Bill, you did great in your motos, even though you found too many nuturals and having a pull string throttle. Me, I loaded up in the turns, too much brake. Took a couple of minutes to get the cylinder cleared out.

Hopefully next year, we'll have two Teams in the in the Relay. Looking forward to seeing you guys again. Thanks again for the enjoyable outing.

All you other Penton owners in Oregon, Washington, come and join the fun!!!

Dale

tomale

Oh that is right.... how could I forget. To be honest, If the "O" ring on the countershaft sprocket does not fit tight, it will cause the sleeve to not fit right either and then the countershaft spocket will be too far out and the locking ring will not fit in the splines and is rendered useless. I know I had some trouble with the 400 but managed to get it solved.  Matt really had a tough year as I recall, hang in there... this too shall Pass. It is the only thing I like passing me by.
Penton is finally establishing a presence here in the Northwest. Funny people told me that getting parts was impossible for the Pentons. And this from a guy that is a bike Machinist. You would think he would know.
Dale I hope you are right and we have two teams next year. Or maybe three?

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W