Jackpiner 101

Started by wfopete, August 03, 2004, 08:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfopete

I just took ownership of a real nice 73 Jackpiner. I do have some questions about the bike.  

1. The bike has plastic fenders, but I saw a '73 Penton ad that showed the bike with medal fenders; was this a running change during '73?

2. I understand that these models had a rather weak ignition. What is the fix? I've used PVLs in the past with good success, but I understand later models had good ignitions also.

3. On a related note, when operating the kick-starter, a noise that is best described as a "meat grinder full of nails".  Does this sound like a familiar condition?

4.Is it considered a sin to replace the Bing carb with a Mikuni?

5. Since the bike is in such good/original condition, I would like to replace easily damage parts prior to riding the bike.  Fenders and bars/controls come to mind, but are there other pieces that should be considered?

Thanks.

'01 KTM EXC 520, '74 YZ 250, '86 Honda XR 250, '71 Hodaka 100, '74 SUZUKI TM 400, '73 Penton Jackpine
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

firstturn

Pete,
  It looks like you bought a beautiful Penton.  I will let others answer your questions, but please everything you takeoff (like the Bing), be sure to keep in a box marked for that bike.  I say this from experience.  I kept a lot of things, but I threw away(or more often gave away to help other racers) things like shocks, carburetors and (I hate to admit) alloy fenders.  Good to have you in the POG.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

WFOPete
1.  Plastic or aluminum either is fine as I have original 73 magazine photos of both.  I even have photos of the 73 250's with aluminum fenders
2.  Al B has a new 12 volt ignition (tested at Dalton) that will work for you if you want to run lights
3.  I have never heard that unless something was wrong inside.  You may wish to investigate
4.  Nothing wrong with a properly tuned Bing but a lot of folks like Mikuni's
5.  Original skid plates are big $$$, left side covers or any cosmetics are big $$$.  Stock headlamps/taillamps are big $$$ and on and on and on:(  Sounds like a nice machine, good Luck and have fun!

wfopete

Ron:

I hear ya! Who knows how much gold and unobtainium I tossed out in the '70's and 80's. I learned my lesson about keeping items itemized. I have all to often suffered from "sometimer's diease. Thanks!

'01 KTM EXC 520, '74 YZ 250, '86 Honda XR 250, '71 Hodaka 100, '74 SUZUKI TM 400, '73 Penton Jackpine
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good