Leimbach shares some history on the Penton Hiro

Started by LynnCamp, August 06, 2004, 05:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LynnCamp

Ed Youngblood and Dane have teamed up to share a wonderful piece of history on the Penton Hiro.  Fewer than 20 were built.  (Ron - sorry to bring up a sore subject -- but you will find your lost Hiro one of these days.)

go to http://www.motohistory.net/news.html and scroll down the page quite a ways -- you will spot the green tank.

firstturn

Lynn,
  Everybody else picks on me.  I hope you trip went well(Northwest).
   When I read Ed's (Youngblood) interview I was thinking of other aspects that made this whole Hiro subject so interesting.  I actually think that the interesting part of the entire Hiro engine deal was the actual power band(wild to say the least) and the possible connection with Go Kart engine specifications that one could associate with the Hiro engine.  I say this because Go Karting has alwas been big in Europe and South America and people are always in search of new and different engines with more horsepower.  I feel a lot of the background of the porting specifications of the Hiro (engine for the Penton) derived from that area of racing.
  Again, this is just my take after being around different areas of racing for too long to mention.  Thanks Lynn for mentioning the MotoHistory site as I feel all of the POG members would enjoy and learn from Ed Youngbloods great gift to all of motorcycling.
  I will be in your area the week of August 22 so keep in line.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

Thank You Lynn for posting this web site ! I was drooling all over this bike at M/O and really didn't know anything about the bike. Thanks Again!!:)

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Jeff D

I don't know if you could get him to part with it or not, but Jim Letellier (Letko Cycles, Kansas City, KS  913-334-2410, //www.letko.com) has a brand new Hiro engine sitting on one of the shelves in his upstairs stockroom.  I'm betting it would take Doug, Dane or JP himself to get Jim to give it up, though!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

firstturn

Jeff,
  I actually sold two complete engines last year.  I felt that I had looked long enough for a bike and just lost interest since I have my hands full with the other ones I am looking foror already own.  I still have a lead one one in Texas(bike) but these leads sometimes play out after people just can't remember who bought what.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh