Motocross Action

Started by OUCWBOY, August 06, 2004, 10:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OUCWBOY

Hello All! I know this might not me on topic, but I am searching for the ery 1st issue of Motocross Action. I don't need the magazine, just information within. It is said to contain the official results of the 1st unoffical 125 National Championship Race held at Arroyo Cycle Park (now called the REM Track at Glen Helen in San Bernardino CA) This race was won by Ray Lopez (Mettco Penton), who beat guys like Marty Smith (Monark), Bruce McDougal (Mettco Penton). I was at that race and it was not an official AMA sanctioned event. I have been told that there is a write up in the 1st Motocross Action and that the cover features that race as well. Any help MX fans?
E-mail me at [email protected]
Thanks

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

Donny,
  Didn't Ray Lopez win some type of Championship (125) on a Penton in '72 or '73?  I will see if anything pops up on any of my old issues.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OUCWBOY

Ron,
Yes, Ray won the 1st unofficial 125cc National Championship

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

Donny,
  Thanks I will be able to go to bed and not be looking for that info[:p].  Great name out of the past and we should locate him for his story for Ted.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OUCWBOY

I have tried to find some info on him, but no luck so far. He was just one of many fast guys that rode for Fred Hayes at Mettco. Bruce and Danny are the only two I have spoken to.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

rob w

Hi Donny, & all.
 MXA July '73 is the one you're talking about.
Up until around that time 125's did'nt get alot of respect or limelight in the National moto-cross scene.
 That was a one-race National Championship kind of event, and a warmup to a FIM 125 GP coming that fall in '73 to St. Louis. (that race is in the Dec. '73 issue of MXA)

That 1st Natl. Champ. race at Arroyo was won by Ray Lopez on a Penton. In the 1st moto Team Mettco Penton riders Chuck Bower and Bruce McDougal finished 1-2. Lopez 4th, unknown Monark mounted Marty Smith 3rd. Zundapp-engined Penton rider Billy Payne lead but crashed.
 2nd moto and O.A. won by Ray Lopez.

Besides McDougal, Bower, and Lopez...other notable 1973 Penton Natl. and St Louie GP riders were...John Harrington, Eddie Cole, and Doug Kane.

In that very brief period of '73...I would considered those days to be the "glory days" of Penton's time in the 125 Natl. MX arena. That's very cool you were there Donny.
It so quickly turned Japanese after that. I know because I went to the '74 125 World GP in Zoar, NY. and by then there were no 125 Pentons competing.

Thanks

OUCWBOY

Rob,
Thanks for the memory refresher. I was there with Tommy Sims, Monark rider from Oklahoma. Too much water has passed under the bridge for me to remember. We drove all the way out there in a 62 Corvair Van. Burned as much oil as it did gas. Tommy broke a throttle cable in one moto and did very well in the other. I think there was another well known Penton Central rider there too, Randy Carthell (sp) on the last name. I was looking to find a copy of the article if anyone has one.
Thanks again

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR