Starting a 250

Started by tmc3c, August 09, 2004, 06:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

Is there a trick to cranking my bike ? Once I get it cranked it is first kick every time after that but that first time cranking is a job. I have taking the choke out of the carb, and winter is coming, well at least I would be warm before I hit the woods!!:D

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

john durrill

Tom,
  Whats the drill you use when starting it? Most times if you tickle it till fuel runs out on the engine, then crack the throttle as you go down on the kick starter it should fire off. The choke helps keep it running once the extra fuel from ticking burns off. I use the clutch to position the Kickstarter so i can get a good hard swing on it..
 John D.

tmc3c

I tickle the carb till gas runs out but I don't give it any gas when kicking it because I smell plenty of gas and don't want to flood it. After this it cranks first kick.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rain Man

I lay my 250 and 400 on their sides for a second with both petcocks open then try starting it after tickling. It may flood the bike out, but they start, and all the smoke helps with the black fly situation :)

Raymond
Limington Me.
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tmc3c

Thanks Raymond ! I will try that the next time I ride ! There is a few gnats I like to get rid of myself!![}:)]

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

wildman

If you put the rear wheel a little higher than the front, the tickled gas will run into the engine easier. Also if the gas has been in the float bowl for a few days it's lost the aromatics that start easy. My modern bike likes fresh gas every time, I lay it on the side and let the fuel drain from the overflows, usually starts first or second kick. Nothing worse than sweating your brains out before even riding! Dan Pagel

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

john durrill

Tom.
 does it crank cold with one or two kicks? then it will not stay running with out restarting till the engine warms up?
If thats the case then put the choke back on. cold weather will make it even harder to start in the mornings.
John D.

tmc3c

No John once it cranks it is on and running fine ! Ride it around and clear out the cob webs and it cranks first kick from then on even after it sits while taking a break! Could it be something to do with it being a reed valve cylinder and not a gem system like the pic I sent you ?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler