Cycle-liner trivia

Started by swamp fox, August 17, 2004, 08:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OUCWBOY

And all this time I thought the BR stood fro something else.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

Very Alert Big D.[^]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

Yeah, What is with this "BAJA RON" stuff I keep hearing about? Care to spill it or is that a new quiz coming up ?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

OUCWBOY

TC,
I would tell you, but Ron might not like me too! [}:)]

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

Doony,
  You might as well tell him how you cut us plow boys down right with the others.[8D]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OUCWBOY

OK, I will spill the beans on this BR issue, but, I want all of you to know that there is nothing but good fun with this. Ron Carbaugh is like a brother to me and this is nothing more than just plain teasing. As many of you know, Ron is from Texas. I originally came from Oklahoma. Texas always has thing that are bigger and better and there's just no competing with Texas on any level, Except for College Football, where OU owns Texas. When I first met Ron on line and through Email, and found out that he was from Texas, and me being from Oklahoma, I informed Ron that he lived in Baja Oklahoma. Like Part of Mexico being called Baja California. Ron wrote me back right after that and called himself Baja Ron (BR). This is how we both refer to him in all our written correspondence. Little did I know that Ron was calling himself Berkshire Ron, although if you know Ron, it truly fits.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tmc3c

So ..... Lets see...that is what I see in the Cycle News and Racer X in the ads: BBR racing "Berkshire Baja Ron" Racing???:D[8]

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Gary Roach

Toni found this very cool old photo of the Hi-Point Cycleliner which she took as it was sitting in a parking lot in Michigan.

I have read several times about the Husqvarna Cycleliner, and I'm curious if anyone has a photo of what it looks like.

"Back in the Day"

As it sits today, after being modified to haul the Hi-Point trailers, and many winters in Amherst.

TGTech

The trailer hauler, was NOT the original Cycleliner. It was the Hi Point accessory bus. The original Cycleliner was scrapped in the late 80's because the chassis had rotted out so badly.

The fellow who was doing all of the semi maintenance for Penton Imports in the mid 70's, was also a hot rod guy. So in late '75 or early '76, Al was requested to do the painting on the Cycleliner. Since '76 was our Country's 200th anniversary, that is why the bus got it's flag graphics on it.

The Husky liner, as I remembered it, was all yellow with Husky graphics on it. It didn't have a lot of pretty design, but it worked for them.

Gary, thanks for posting this of the later version of the 'liner.  

Dane

brian kirby

Seems like I remember Paul Clipper doing a story about him driving the original Cycleliner for his "Reset" column in Dirt Bike magazine. Anybody remember the article or even remember Paul Clipper driving it?

Brian

'73 Berkshire Team  d-Con
//www.d-conproducts.com America's #1 Rodent Control Brand
Brian

tomale

This is very cool stuff. From time to time when I decide to go to a race far away.... We try to double up, for all the normal reasons. and it usually is more than worth the hassle. A few years ago Big Mac and I had traveled to tulsa to ride the ISDT RR and it was a great time. Not just the weekend but the trip both ways. Mac and I have talked of that trip a number of times and We keep talking about doing it again... I can only imgine what it must have been like to travel cross country to race and doing it time and agian. I am sure at the time it was hard but I am also sure that you look back on it with fond memories.
Given the times we live in finding ways to get a bunch of guys together to ride together may very well be just a return to a better way of doing things.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

BobJones

I can't open the admin. pictures of the Cycleliner.What am I doing wrong? I remember the Cycleliner from the Busted Piston Enduro & 2-days in Potosi' Missouri. My brother & I got got a Red Dodge van in 72 or 73 fixed it so we could sleep in it & haul 2 -bikes.Remember when they closed gas stations on weekends? We put a 40 gal.aux tank in it & used to be pretty good at changing drivers (we had an aftermarket cruise) on the fly.We also kept empty juice bottles & when they got refilled we stuck them in the step down next to the side doors. Later we switched to hauling a 4 bike trailer opened up the back of the van & take 4 or 5 guys racing. Those were the days.Love hearing the stories about he Cycleliner. Memories are the reason to be alive.Bob

Bob Jones
Show-me state
(2)74 Harescramblers,72 Jackpiner,68/69 6-Day,73 Harescrambler.

Bob Jones
Show-me state
(2)74 Harescramblers,72 Jackpiner,68/69 6-Day,73 Harescrambler.

Young Ted

If the memory is working in good shape, Northland Plaza is the one at the northwest corner of M-72 and US 131 in Kalkaska, Michigan. The Cycleliner was at the Jack Pine in the late 70's, which isn't far from Kalkaska.

Young Ted

firstturn

Bob(Jones),
  Great memories about those old vans.  I didn't miss the neat comment on the empty juice bottles and the step down inthe van.  I had to be at work on Monday mornings @ 4 AM so those vans really made good time home on Sunday night.  Thanks for the reminder.[|)]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

Ron, On making good time home a friend named Jerry Stokes ran his van hot on I-26 @1:00 am on the way home from Orangeburg Speedway.  With no water in sight my father poured the last of our Gatoraide into his radiator to get him home.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler