Powdercoating high breather frames

Started by farmer58za, August 27, 2004, 08:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer58za

Hi Guys

I'm looking at powdercoating two 1975 high breather frames for bikes that will be ridden. The normal procedure is to first sandblast the frame prior to coating. I am concerned firstly about doing a proper job inside the frame backbone and secondly about getting all the blast media out of the backbone prior to starting up. As the frames are not badly rusted, I am considering blocking up the backbone prior to sending the frame to the powdercoaters.

Has anyone got any advice?

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

firstturn

David,
  It really depends on how good of a job your powder coating person does and at how high of temperature he has the frame (to melt the powder coat).  The ones I have seen done properly have come out very well finished inside and were blown out with high pressure to get any loose sand and particles out.  Also, I have always coated the inside of my airboxes, with grease, both before and after the filter to hope and catch any heavy particles.  I would say if you are concerned about this situation plug the holes or at least do the final cleaning(using air) yourself.  Just my take.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

Hi David, I have my frame powder coated with no problems, But I also do like Ron says and put grease all inside my air box. When you get your frame back just wash it down good with the hose to make sure that nothing is Hiding out in the frame. This is just what I would do.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

TGTech

KTM used a shot peening process to clean and prep the frames before painting, and they didn't do any more than just shake out the shot and blowing off the frame prior to painting.

Dane

farmer58za

Thanks for the assistance

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS175
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David