175 main jet

Started by Lew Mayer, August 30, 2004, 09:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lew Mayer

I know what the book calls for, but I wondering what do y'all run for a main jet on a 73 175 with a 30mm Bing.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Dennis Jones

Lew, I'm not sure but I think mine has what the specs call for. How was Portland? I hope no Bultacos got by you. I hated to miss Portland, but I'm lucky I didn't start the trip as we had van trouble on a short local trip.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Lew Mayer

I'm running a 155 main. Just wondering if I need bigger for really cranking it on. I've got one word for Portland; Muddy! They say the MX got better with use but we got 2 1/2 inches of rain Sat. night and they rerouted the CC course. Some spots got a little deep in the woods. I ruined a tire running on a flat for half the race. No one else posted in our class but I didn't go 12 hours to do a lap. I rode like you were chasing me. Good time though. Randy also had trouble with a flat. I met some new faces every event I've been to. Great meeting Bob Wardlow. Glad he enjoyed being back in it.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

tlanders

Hi guys,

I put a 32mm Bing on my Piner and so far have gotten the hole shot in just about every Cross Country race. A lot of this success is due to the fact it starts immediately on the first kick. The bigger Bing really helps the top end. I forget what main jet I finally ended up with. I have to tear it down because the idle screw came out during the race last Sunday and the slide is sticking from mud getting in the carb. I pray the piston and slide aren't too torn up. I will check the jet size when it's apart. I LOVE MY PINER!!!!

Teddy

Dennis Jones

I'm with you on loving to ride my Piner, for me it works great. I would love to have a 175 to put in my new to me 77 250 GS6. I hope a sticky slide is all you have. Lew you deserve a milage award.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Lew Mayer

Teddy,
How's that 32 work for torque down low? Any noticeable loss?
Dennis, see you at Casey. I've got a lot to fix before then.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

tlanders

I've got it geared with 12/55 sprockets and it pulls very well.

Teddy

Lew Mayer

Well, I'm running 12/55. Maybe when I get these other projects paid for, I'll look for a 32. Thanks, Teddy.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

tlanders

I took the carb off the Piner last night and it was sad to see all the dirt in it from where the spring loaded idle screw had fallen out and let it in. I found that without the spring, the screw was very loose in the threads -  another worn out Bing!!! I cleaned everything, put gobs of thread sealer on it, put it back in and the Piner fired up on the second kick. It then actually idled nicely for the first time. I hadn't realized how much air was leaking by the threads on the idle screw. It looks like I should check all my carbs for worn idle screw threads. The main jet is a 150, idle jet is a 30. I didn't check the needle jet size. It's a 32 mm carb. I hope I didn't take too many years off the life of the engine. Four more Cross Country races to go. I LOVER MY PINER.

Teddy

Larry Perkins

Ted

If it got in the carb in got in the motor.  Dirt and sand don't disappear.  Cylinder, piston, and bearings should be checked to avoid worse damage and DNF.  Physics says if you put dirt in a suction it goes in.  My opinion on the check, though.  But if you love your Piner...