KTM and MotoGP

Started by tomale, September 05, 2004, 02:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

I realize this is a bit off the subject but I thought it was of some interest because of the connection that Penton has to KTM> Lasst week I was watching Speed channel I really like watching Road Racing. If I remember right, They were talking about some of the new additions to this field of racing and I heard that next year KTM is going to be contesting in the MotoGP series. What I heard was the 125 and 250 class. The KTM people do know how to make Power. Several weeks ago I read an article about Kenny Roberts was going to test a 900cc KTM motor for His Team . I didn't know they even made that big of a motor. Nothing was said about them actually using it but I quess they wanted to see if it was feasable. I guess Kenny is looking for a better power plant one they can coax more power out of. I guess they felt they had gotten as much power out of the current motor as they felt they could. Boy talk about coming full circle. Didn't Kenny ride a Penton powered by a KTM back in his flat track days. It is amazing to see what MR. Penton started is still expanding in ever larger circles. What will be next?

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

wildman

Roadracing world magizine has a good article this month and provious issues detailed KTMs stillborn MotoGP effort. They got as far as building prototype engines before realizing they couldn't fund such an effort and concentrated on the 125 class.
Along comes KR with his dismal Proton engines blowing up right and left and gets an idea to place the KTM Moto GP motor in a spare frame and test it. He said it gives KTM a chance to see their motor on a race track and gives him an alternative engine. Noting beyound that at this point but I wouldn't be surprised with a Kenny Roberts KTM MotoGP raceteam next year. It's really pretty cool.

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

firstturn

tomale & wildman,
  I knew of the research funding or so I was told, but I appreciate the actual articles and TV program.  See reading POG is good for current news.:D

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

Thanks Firsturn and Wildman,
It has been a crazy summer and have not spent much time on the POG line. So forgive me if it has taken me so long to respond.
If you stop and think about it. KTM is really the new kid on the block. From what I can determine, their production of motocycles only goes back A little over 3 decades.(that is not a very long history) The economy in europe as I understand had not been that good and despite the fact that almost all of the european MX bikes that ruled in the late 60's and most of the 70's have either disspeared or been pigion holed as odities. A sad affair. Through all of this.. as maico and husky and CZ fade into the past, KTM has continued to gain strength. They have never really had the kind of funding to make the kind of splash that the 4 bikes from this small island in the east has been able to generate. Even with out that they have still pulled off a number of impressive wins.How many World Championships do they have to their credit? The first only 5-6 years after building any kind of off road bike? I would say that is impressive.
I say all this because I really want the rest of the world to know what we as Penton owners have know for a very long time. KTM has and does put out some of the very best bikes on this planet. And this dispite the obivious bias against them  in the dirt bike Rags. I would love to see KTM stick it to the Fab four on the Road race course. And who better to do it... than Kenny who changed the face of road racing so many years ago. For that matter I would love to see KTM stick it to them in Motocross here in the good old USA. Funny how you do not see many Hondas etc. being riden in Europe but lots of KTM's The reverse is true here in the US Lots of Hondas, Yamaha' Susuki's etc. I was watching the last round of the US outdoor MX Nationals and only counted one rider on a KTM and that a European rider. If KTM's are so bad then why do you see so many in Europe and almost none in the US. I run into people all the time that have never heard of KTM's I find that so strange. From my point of view KTM's are better than the Honda's etc because not only are they competitive but they will last and continue to be competitive from one year to the next. I do not think it is because KTM's are more expensive. How many after market companies have made a good living catering to the desires of riders who want to fix up their new fab four bikes.  
By the way I do not work for KTM or one of their dealers, I just love what I ride and it bugs me to have them ignored. It is not too popular to build things that last these days but thank God there are still people out there that think such things are important.

Where did all that come from? I guess I will get off my soap box and go back and get my bike ready for the reunion ride.
I have to say that it was sure fun flying by all those guys on modern bikes at the WORCS race. I turned a few heads when I finished that very hard Race. A fat gray haired man on a old bike.

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

OUCWBOY

Thom,
You are my Hero!

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR