powdercoating question

Started by farmer58za, September 06, 2004, 05:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer58za

I'm about to take in two frames for powdercoating. The powdercoater recommends that I put a clear coat over the silver to stop it from weathering. I've done this before on a Husky frame and it looks real nice but possibly a bit on the "shiny" side. The bikes are going to be used as intended but I'd like them to look authentic.

What's the recommended frame finish?

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS175
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

firstturn

David,
  If you are going to race them I think the clear coat is fine and really helps when washing them down.  Just my take.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

farmer58za

Thanks Ron
I phoned the powdercoater and checked if he had matt clear coat which would be most probably closest to "stock" appearance but he doesn't keep it as the demand is so low. I'll go with the gloss clear and hope that a few hours in the saddle will dull the shine a little. At the same time I'm doing work on the steering head and swingarm bearings (which I've put in a another post) so it'll all be ready for assembly when it comes back from the coaters.

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS175
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

firstturn

David,
  Please remember when you get the frame back and start to mount the engine that you file down all the parts(engine mounts) so there is bare metal.  Also be sure to use a volt/Ohm meter to test for GOOD condinuity between the coil mount and the part of the engine where the ignition is mounted.  If not, No fire and/or if condinuity isn't Good you will develope other problems that will have you chasing ghosts.  Again just my thoughts.  Remember, I learn by my own mistakes and those of so called experts that put their pants on the same way you and I do.[:o)]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh