FOURTY YEARS LATER

Started by ronlee, September 19, 2004, 12:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronlee

Hello All
After a really /really long story I am on two wheels once again.
I won't go into all the details between 1968 and the present.
Back in 68/69 I was at a two day enduro held in northern Ontarion.
At that time the New Penton Team had come north to test the New Penton.
I think at that time they were using 100cc engines.
As luck would have it I ended up in the same group. With my new stock DT1 we all left and half an hour later I crashed trying to keep up.
Later that day after the Team had returned I approched John Penton.
Where did you get these bikes? I asked. Made em was the reply.
Can I get one? was the question. After we get back from Europe was the reply. Any way I got to ride one in the parking lot. Quite a experience for a young enduro rider with a Jap mount.
One thing led to another and I never did get My Penton.
Two years ago my young son wanted to race M/X. I bought him some older units to see if he had what it takes. As it turned out he had talent so we looked for a new machine for him. I asked him which bike he wanted. KTM was the reply. He had done his research and indeed KTM was the fastest 85 out there.
After we purchased the machine I rode it a few times and got an old feeling. It felt just like the Penton I has tried back in the 60's.
When My son out grows this machine I plan on converting it into my personal mount. I live in the interior of B.C. and a real Penton is out of the Question. Pentons do not exist up here and I am the only one who has seen one never mind riden one.
I plan to install a 105 kit and some stiffer springs. Other than that the only thing I need is "permission" from you guys to put a Penton Sticker on it. Call it a Canadian Penton if you like.
KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY

RON LEE
BOULDER CREEK
BC*BC
 :D

Rain Man

Ron Lee, nice story, welcome to the Penton owners grouop !!  Good Advice too, keep your powder dry,
  yessa, I will do that

Raymond
keep right, stay in control (sometimes)
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Steve Minor

Welcome to POG Ron...Always great to hear stories from the past and always great to meet new "friends". Ya know....you should go ahead and get a Penton now instead of waiting for your son to outgrow the KTM...just think what a great "pit bike" a Penton would make????

Steve
Steve Minor

Mick Milakovic

Welcome Ron, and I agree with Steve, go ahead and buy a Penton now!  They are, as a comparison, like a Harley-Davidson in the dirt:  The most valuable and collectable bikes.  Not only that, but they are fun to ride, too!  And with shipping as easy as it is these days, there is  no reason someone who lives where you do cannot enjoy this sport at the same level as anyone else.  Enjoy!

Mick

tomale

Welcome Ron, Thanks for relating the story. It is fun to hear how others came to their understanding of Penton.:D There are a number of us just over the border in Washington, Oregon and Idaho. If we can be of some help in gettting you hooked up please let us know. The border is only 2 hours away for me and if need be I would be more than willing to help in anyway I can. I have ofter thought of getting a newer KTM and putting a Penton sticker on it. I was talking with the local KTM dealer just yesterday and he told me that several years ago KTM had come out with a special bike to honor their Penton heritage. He said it was Penton blue. I assume he meant like the Jackpiners. Jon has a Parts bike a GS 250 76 or 77 that is all blue. A future project I am sure. I think that the early KTM's in Europe The GS models I think.
Let me know, Or if you want to talk, send me an E mail and we can connect.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

ronlee

:DHello guys
Thanks for the reply.
I live 150 miles north of Spokane Washington.
I like the idea of getting a real Penton.
The reason I like the 105 KTM is simple . Iam tired of stubbing my toes because my feet cant touch the ground. Like the old Pentons the 105 KTM has the right deminsions. Sixteen inches of ground clearance/125 front forks,schock and swing arm plus about 25hp. All this and my feet can touch the ground. I raced a crf450 for two years and loved it except when it stalled I had to find a stump or side of the berm in order to mount and restart. Iam 60 now and my leg dosen't go up as high as it once did.
I own a Motocross Facility just two miles north of Salmo B.C.
We also have a old rail bed that starts at my back door.
This rail bed access opens up almost 1000 miles of trails and fire roads that end up back here. I also have a riverside camp ground.
Iam telling you all this because I would like to have a rally or ????
sometime.
Anyway Remember the guy that won the Baja 500 on a 100cc Zundapp.
RON LEE
BOULDER CREEK
BC*BC

tomale

Wow Ron,
We will have to connect. My schedule looks pretty full this summer but next year I am sure we could do something.. As for a rally or something like that that sounds cool. I have never did anything like that so I would not even know where to start. But if I can be of some help let me know.
Last year Jon Mac and I were thinking it would be great to put together a vintage enduro... maybe that would work up there. Something to think about.
keep us posted by the way 60 is not that old. There are several guys at the Vintage Dirt Racing Northwest race series that are over 60. Come down and join the fun.

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W