Rear shock suggestions

Started by huskyrider390, September 27, 2004, 10:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huskyrider390

Hi all,
Although this question is not directly about Pentons, it still is something that all vintage riders have to decide on. Rear shocks, what is everyone using? I don't remember what came on the Pentons, but my later Huskys had Ohlins.

I have a rider, Husky 390 WR, used for woods, dual sports, enduro's, etc. Need some opinions on Works Performance shocks. I'd like to put a set of Ohlins piggy backs, but those are a ton of money. Next choice would be the WP's. What are some opinions on the total outlook of these shocks. I guess what I'd be interested in would be the steel bodied, dual rate spring model.

thanks,
huskyrider390

chicagojerry

i have ridden with works performance shocks and have a pair on my 74 elsie 250. they work alright but actually i prefer progressives and have bought three pair since the initial w/p's and the progressives are cheaper  and work better.  ohlins are nice but pretty pricey.
chicago jerry

Gavin Housh

I've been using the WP's on my Six Day for some time now with good results, but when new with stock oil and valving they lacked rebound damping. I sent them to our local suspension man and had one of the rebound holes welded up and redrilled with a smaller hole. Rode them after that and still didn't have enough rebound. So he used heavier 7.5 weight oil. Now they work very well. You shouldn't have to spend an additional $75-100 for a shock that costs $300 to begin with. I've been very happy with three sets of old Fox nitrogen/oil emulsion shocks that I've been using on my other bikes, but these are getting harder to find in good shape. Good luck. G man.

hrbay

The Works are gonna be right, they will adjust N/c until you are happy with them, if you buy them new. Shipping any distance is a pain in time and $ though.

GC
GC

Gavin Housh

I've been using the WP's on my Six Day for some time now with good results, but when new with stock oil and valving they lacked rebound damping. I sent them to our local suspension man and had one of the rebound holes welded up and redrilled with a smaller hole. Rode them after that and still didn't have enough rebound. So he used heavier 7.5 weight oil. Now they work very well. You shouldn't have to spend an additional $75-100 for a shock that costs $300 to begin with. I've been very happy with three sets of old Fox nitrogen/oil emulsion shocks that I've been using on my other bikes, but these are getting harder to find in good shape. Good luck. G man.

hrbay

The Works are gonna be right, they will adjust N/c until you are happy with them, if you buy them new. Shipping any distance is a pain in time and $ though.

GC
GC

tomale

I have never delt with either company but last year I tried to set up my bike with a set of shock I bought brand new and I never did get it right, so now they lay in a box. Pain, I would say so. If they do a good job at communicting with you then it would be fine and if not it will be a pain. I have not heard either way with either company, I just think the whole thing with mailing back and forth to get the shocks right is a pain unless they are local and you can deal with them direct. Just my take.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Lloyd Boland

A couple of years ago I went to WP and took my 1976 MC5 with me.  They did not have the Frame geometry in their data base at that time, so they took a buch of measurements, my weight, riding ability etc and built a set of shocks that worked great out of the box.  I had WP on my 1972 and 1974 CZ 400.  The WP shocks on the 1972 worked fairly well but I sweithed to a set of progressive shocks on the 1974.  The progressive shocks worked better than either of the WP shocks on the CZs.

Larry Perkins

Guys, there is a lot of difference in the demands and requirements in shocks between Vintage bikes and Post-Vintage bikes.  For Vintage the leverage and heat build up is far below the shock capabilities from those in todays market.  That is why I think the best buy for Vintage is Progressive.  However, they would never hold up or last under the leverage and heat generated by Post-Vintage suspension.  Yoy need gas and a resevoir if you want that to last and not fade.  That is my spin.

Larry P

Mike OReilly

For a shock with a resevoir, that would mean either the WP or Ohlins, Larry? I don't think that Progressive makes on with the resevoir?
And Lloyd, were the WP's that they did for the MC5 the resevoir style or the straight body style?
Thanks, Mike.

tomale

boy that is so true larry. I rode my 250 several months ago in a harescrambles a one hour long race over some very rough ground and about three quarters thru I felt like the shocks were fading. They are set of Fox shocks gas/spings. They work fine at the local races but are just not enought for the long hard events. But who can afford such things as WP shocks?

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Lloyd Boland

They were the straight type, no resevoir.

Larry Perkins

Some of the best shocks ever made for these bikes come up for sale on eBay from time to time and usually can be bought and rebuilt for alot less than a new pair of Resevoir Works or Ohlins.

MARZOCCHI

All three of the bikes I won AHRMA Championships on in 2001 were ZOKE equipped.  In my opinion they were great then and still hold to the candle today.

Rain Man

shocks, what a concept: electrical, mechanical or psyhcological[?]

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Dwight Rudder

I highly recommend Works Performance shocks but I recommend that you lie and tell them you weigh 25-30 lbs more than you do. THEN you will be happy.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.