THE 125cc HIRO POWERED PENTON IS UP AND RUNNING!

Started by PJM, June 05, 2001, 01:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJM

Paul Danik, Doug Wilford:

I am looking forward to attending and showing my 125cc Hiro powered Penton at this Thursday's June POG meeting.  After 10 years of storage and knowing that this could be one of a kind, my 9 year old son and I worked on it over the weekend. We cleaned it up (kind of like cleaning the house before having company over), cleaned the carburetor, and put in a new spark plug.  Yes, while cleaing it, I verified that after 10 years of sitting the motoplat ignition still put out a spark.

With a new spark plug and gas, today came the test. Having a positive and realistic mental attitude, and some anxiousness, I tried a few kick starts with no success (I planned on that, really I did).  Next, prepared with my running shoes on, Plan B... the push start.  After explaining to my son what we needed to do next and why, we were ready.  Mind you, I did not tell my son how tired one could get pushing, and pushing, and pushing, but to my pleasure, O.K., EXCITEMENT, it started right up with a little push!!!  You got it, 2 kids in a candy store grinning ear to ear and then the high five.  

Oh, by the way, my neighbors also know that this Hiro powered Penton runs...NOISE travels fast (no baffle attached).

See you Thursday.

Pat (PJM)

P.S., Yes Virginia, there really is a Hiro powered Penton.
Pat Mickevicius

Paul Danik

Pat,
     WOW, that is a neat story.  You probably didn't have to tell your son how tired pushing a motorcycle can make you because 9 year olds don't get tired!!!
     For anyone who hasn't figured it out, Pat is going to make the 3 1/2 hour drive to Amherst this Thursday to show us his Hiro powered Penton. The meeting is going to be held at the KTM office and starts at 7 PM.
All POG members are welcome, even non POG members are welcome as we feel you will be glad to lighten your wallet after you have been to a meeting.
     The Hiro/Penton project was undertaken by John Penton as a way to entice KTM to produce a 125 that would take the place of the Sachs engine.  The project was hidden from public view and is now slowly being exposed as more and more folks are telling what they knew of the project.  To learn more about this chapter of Penton history, and to actually see, and maybe hear, a rare prototype machine, atend this meeting.
     Pat has proven to us all that we can go back and relive those great times, and it is really special when you and your son can be kids together.
   See ya Thursday.  Paul

Tony Price

Great news Pat,

I only wish I lived close enough to make the meeting.  I vote someone takes pictures and it becomes the new featured bike.

Tony P
Tony

Mark Annan

PICTURES we must see PICTURES!   ASAP!

Congrats on getting it fired up.

Mark

Dave H.

I always thought a Hiro was a gastronomical delight, now I understand its a gas powered delight!  I'm looking forward to seeing  photos!
Dave H.

Rocket

I am hoping that Pat brings the Hiro to Mid-Ohio so I can see it, sounds like an interesting M/C.  I also wish I lived closer to Ohio so I could go to the POG meetings.
Rocket

metalkfab

Just a quick THANK YOU to Pat and his son for bringing this special Penton to the monthly meeting.It was cool as s**t.I wished everyone could have seen it.  Sorry guys I didn't have a digital camera.

Doug Wilford

The digital camera was there and the pictures were taken.   Look in  bike of the month feature when the webmaster gets it in there.  It was cool.

metalkfab

Will KTM ever learn? Look in the July issue of Motocross Action and they show a special built 125 KTM that the factory couldn't build.Also there is some B.S.about the 1968 Yamaha DT-1 starting the off-road revolution.Somebody please inform M-X Action about Penton's bikes.

metalkfab

Just saw in e-bay a Hiro powered Can-Am trials bike for sale.Maybe anyone with a Hiro engine can contact Can-Am dealers about parts.

metalkfab

I'm sorry,the e-bay number is 594071349,and the bidding ends today.