repro 125 pistons kits soon!

Started by Marc Biro, September 27, 2004, 06:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Biro

Ok you POGGERS, I need your help. I will be offering for sale 125 pistons kits for the alumimnum barrel very soon. my question for you is; if you had to pick between the 54.5mm, 55mm, 55.5mm and 56mm oversizes which 2 sizes would you like to see reproduced first? Also, how about piston kits for the 125 iron barrel and 175 jackpiner?

Thanks

Marc

bildough

Marc; which pistons did you use in that Mettco replica you put together several years ago.
Bill Cappel

Lew Mayer

Marc,
pistons are being made for the 175 Jackpiners. They've just come available. There is a question with the height of a port in the piston though. A friend of mine bought one and when I install it we'll find out how the change in port placement affects the running.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

firstturn

Marc,
  I would think that 54.5 and 55.5 would be the best first choice for what I have been ask for and used in my bikes.  Of course if I was building a race bike I would only care about having the 56mm.  Hope this helps and I have said before thank you for your taking the lead in this area.
Regards,

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Marc Biro

Thanks guys for your input. Please keep them coming as I need to get as much feedback as I can by Friday!    

Bill, I used a SACHS piston in the replica, but not sure of the bore. Most likely a  54.5mm.

t20sl

Marc:  Are .25 increments going to be available?  Only reason I ask is once the metal is gone there is no going back.  Think how many more times a bike can be "freshened up" if you can go  54.25, 54.5, 54.75 etc...... Relining is really expensive. My vote would be the 55. and 55.5 if those are the only choices.  Ted

bildough

Marc; which pistons did you use in that Mettco replica you put together several years ago.
Bill Cappel

Lew Mayer

Marc,
pistons are being made for the 175 Jackpiners. They've just come available. There is a question with the height of a port in the piston though. A friend of mine bought one and when I install it we'll find out how the change in port placement affects the running.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

firstturn

Marc,
  I would think that 54.5 and 55.5 would be the best first choice for what I have been ask for and used in my bikes.  Of course if I was building a race bike I would only care about having the 56mm.  Hope this helps and I have said before thank you for your taking the lead in this area.
Regards,

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Marc Biro

Thanks guys for your input. Please keep them coming as I need to get as much feedback as I can by Friday!    

Bill, I used a SACHS piston in the replica, but not sure of the bore. Most likely a  54.5mm.

t20sl

Marc:  Are .25 increments going to be available?  Only reason I ask is once the metal is gone there is no going back.  Think how many more times a bike can be "freshened up" if you can go  54.25, 54.5, 54.75 etc...... Relining is really expensive. My vote would be the 55. and 55.5 if those are the only choices.  Ted

bildough

thanks Marc. Your replica is a great bike and i feel like a criminal racing it but its just too nice to let sit. After all you have to take the G I Joe out of the box in order to enjoy it. I have a monark GS Pro and the Mettco is a close second in power.
Bill Cappel

Marc Biro

Thanks everyone for your input. I will let you know shortly what will be available.

Bill,

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Penton I built. If you come across any Monarks I would be interested. I would would really like to build one for racing, especially if it had the GS motor! FYI..I am currently building another 125 Penton similar to the one you now own, only with a few more mods like; re-domed head, my new rod kit, 32mm Mikuni, porcupine head, CZ front hub, internal flywheel, finger ports and lots more. May give your GS a run for its money!!

Marc

Gavin Housh

Marc,why not just go ahead and make sizes out to 58mm. The sleeve will handle that. Who cares if AHRMA considers that cheating. One of my fovorite cylinders is on a 55.75 now. what's available after that? Nothing! I'm not so concerned about my front hub on my six day. I've got the 250 front wheel on. Along with the seven in. 35mm forks. I'm thinking about replaceing the rear hub with a magnesium 250 hub. Going up to a 72 tooth sprocket with a 15 tooth in front.Reason being is that I've been using a 13 tooth front and a 61 tooth rear. This gearing gives me a great second gear start. But the front sprocket is so small that it wears way to quickly. This also puts alot of stress on the chain, and I think we all know about these bikes throwing the chain off. I can't tell you how many engines I've seen with the cases all torn up from thrown chains. The problem I'm finding is that the six day chain carryer lets the chain run so close to the swing arm When I put the 250 hub in I can't get the chain over to the right side enough, and I have poor chain line. Now I'm thinking of making a different swing arm to make it work. I'd like to hear abour your head mods and how to do the finger ports. Gavin. p.s. I've raced against the repo Mettco in California. It's not, that fast.

gooddirt

Are any of these race bikes going to be at some up coming events? {westcoast} Maybe an AHRMA  race before the year is out. I'll be on he track and would like to see how fast these bikes just might be. {125 sixday MX stock motor  with fresh 55mm.[^]