Weather at the ride

Started by tomale, October 06, 2004, 02:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

Not that I am backing out or even considering it. I will ride no matter what. Just the kind of guy I am. but I thought it might be nice to have some idea what I might expect so that I can plan accordingly. It looks like Mac and I are pretty much set. I can hardly wait. so what can we expect in the way of weather for this years reunion ride? I have only been that far east once in my 50 plus years and it was not that late in the year so I really have no idea what to expect.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Larry Perkins

Thom

Weather back here has been in the 40's and 50's in the night and 70-75 in the day.  In October in these parts it can get quite a bit colder, though.  I would say that highs in the 60's should be the worst but can keep you posted as it gets closer to your leaving.

Larry P

farmer58za

Hi Larry
Will it be wet or dry?
Regards
David

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS175
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

Larry Perkins

David

Long term weather prediction is not my forte but it has been dry this year and traditionally in the middle U.S. October is not that wet.  The United States is not so inclined to a wet and dry season, though so there is no real guess till it gets a bit closer.  I will watch the longer range next week and keep you posted.  When are you leaving South Africa?

By the way David, do you happen to know any Downhill mountainbike racers there.  I met some guys on the South African team in 94 at Vail, CO at the Worlds when I was a Vet rider on the U.S. team.  Can't remember any names though.  Just curious.  Look forward to meeting you.

Larry P

tomale

Thanks Larry, That is what I was thinking. Mac and I are leaving on Wednesday morning. that should give us plenty of time and hopefullly we can arrive by noon on friday. See ya then

78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Larry Perkins

Looking forward to it, Thom.  Also looking forward to seeing my new Zook.  Thanks to you and John for the ride!

Larry P

slvrbrdfxr

Hi all,
Sorry I didn't reply to this post quicker. Got called out of town for a few days to fix a plane that was out of service in Minneapolis. They have a saying in OK about the weather "If you don't like the weather, just wait five minutes and it will change". No but seriously, the weather here is usually pretty decent for riding in October. This is not a guarantee but, this time of year temps are normally about 65-75 during the day and 45-55 at night. Rainfall averages about 3-4 inches for October. We usually get the first frost of the year in late October so it can get colder than what I described above. Better to have a few extra clothes and some raingear just in case. Tulsa area got some well needed rain last night. Zink Ranch got approx 2" of rain which will help settle the dust. Hope this helps everyone and I'll be glad to answer any question if I left something out. Look forward to seeing everyone in 2 weeks !!
Dave McCullough
Tulsa Trail Riders
[email protected]

tomale

Dave,Sounds like here only dryer.  October is usually pretty nice temps can get into the 60's and nights in the high 40's to mid 50's, warm clothing and rain gear, that is just part of my normal gear that I take with me all year long. Well not in August, usually.  This year we even had rain in August. Normal rain fall averages 40 inche per year but I know of a few places less than a hours drive that the usual rain fall is 90 inches. This area is a weathermans nightmare. Because of the two mountain rages and Puget Sound in between. And then you mix in the fact that we get weather fronts from both Hawaii and Alaska. It can get crazy. but it sure is nice when the sun comes out. lots of mountains to ride in and lots of lakes to visit.

78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Tony Price

Quotequote:Originally posted by tomale

This area is a weathermans nightmare. Because of the two mountain rages and Puget Sound in between.

Thom,

Where are you at in Washington?  My boat went through overhaul at PSNS in the late 80's.

Tony
(Former ET1/SS USN Submarine Service)
Tony

OUCWBOY

Tony,
I'm sure you told me before, but what boat were you on? I did tours on the Sturgeon, Sea Devil, Billfish, and Omaha. Last tour I was the Electronic Division Officer on the McKee.
Donny

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

Tony & Donny,
  Thank both of you gentlemen for serving our country.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OUCWBOY

Ron,
You should have included your name there too as well as other members. I don't know or remember all of them. Rocket, Kip and Cappy too!
Thanks!
Donny

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

There you go Donny starting something I can't finish.  Let's not forget Doug Wilford, Richard Sanders, Tom and John Penton.  I'm going to lose for starting this chain answer program.  Sorry for the people I have not included.[B)]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Tony Price

Quotequote:Originally posted by OUCWBOY

Tony,
I'm sure you told me before, but what boat were you on? I did tours on the Sturgeon, Sea Devil, Billfish, and Omaha. Last tour I was the Electronic Division Officer on the McKee.

Yep, I think we talked about it some years ago.  We share a common past.

My boat was also a Sturgeon class and we were attached to the Dixson.  I left the boat in the winter of '90 in San Diego and attended C7 over on 32nd St. Dry Side, then went on to teach at SubSchool, Groton.

Oh yea, I was on USS Puffer SSN 652.  I know, the name doesn't strike fear in your heart, but she was a great boat!

You ever hear from Larry McLeod (ETCM/SS)?  His cowboy boots cracked me up, but no one from a Star on down would ever dare say anything!

Tony
Tony

Tony Price

Quotequote:Originally posted by firstturn

There you go Donny starting something I can't finish.  Let's not forget Doug Wilford, Richard Sanders, Tom and John Penton.  I'm going to lose for starting this chain answer program.  Sorry for the people I have not included.[B)]

It doesn't surprise me at all that there are quite a few veterans in the group.  I also figure that most everyone shares the same national pride and conviction whether they served or not.

Yep, a good bunch of folks.

Tony
Tony