Will this Clarke MC5 tank fit my '79 KTM 250 MC?

Started by pketchum, October 07, 2004, 09:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pketchum

I'm unsure if this Clarke MC5 tank will fit my '79 KTM 250 MC which has browned with age and gas.  When asked which tank would fit, Chris from Clarke, suggested the #1357 which he took close-up pictures of for me, to help with my decision.  

Has anyone gone down this route before?

For pictures see: http://home.comcast.net/~nstringer100/ktmtank.html

Thanks,

Phil Ketchum
Reunion Ride bound, tank or no tank!
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

farmer58za

Hi Phil
If you can't get full lock with the tank in place it's a real pain when you ride in the tight stuff.

You can do a cheap and nasty fix by using a hot air gun to heat up the tank where the fork touches and then use the fork to push the soft plastic in so that you get back (some of) your steering lock. Remember that the tank will be forever altered.

Regards
David
(RR bound in 10 days)

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS175
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

tomale

phil, From the pic the frame looks to be the same as the 78 or very very close. The stock tank on my 78 does not have the little bump outs for the fork stops. I have a clarks tank (MC5) that I am planning on mounting on my 78 for the up coming season this winter. It would solve a couple of problems for me. one I would not have to worry as much about the stock tank getting damaged and two I am wanting to change the color scheme of the bike to red to match my riding gear and my other bike. I did set it on there and I could not see how it would effect anything. They do make a conversion mount so that you can use the stock petcock. I had talked to Chris about that just a couple of weeks ago but he was unsure which one it was and had asked me to send him some pic's so that he could make sure that I got the right one. Nice folks at Clarks. They are just down in oregon. If you get that figured out let me know. I need to get it done but it is not on the top of my hit list. First the reunion ride and then we can start worrying about the 400. Hope that this is of some help.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Dennis Jones

Phil,

Would you have pictures of the tunnel of the clarke tank. I am looking for one for a 77 GS6. Thanks

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

tomale

Dennis, The 77 Gs is different because it is a "highbreather" I think they make a GS style tank too. It has been awhile since I looked on the site so you had better look for yourself. just go to google and and search for Clarke gas tanks. you will find it, that is how I found it. The GS is a bigger tank and it does not fit on the MC5 frame as I remember. I could be wrong... it would not be the first time.

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W