Preston Petty Mudders wanted:

Started by clayman, October 17, 2004, 05:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clayman

Does anybody have a set of Preston Petty Mudder fenders in either white or silver for sale? I'm looking for fenders to use on my 1971 steel tanker. What has anyone else used?
Thank you,
Clay

Dave Withrow

Clay,
   Yintage Iron has nice remakes of the Petty line.  H+H also has fenders for your bike.  I'm not sure but I think Al B has some too.

Dave Withrow
Ross and Emma Lou's favorite son

Dwight Rudder

If doing a restoration, I hope you realize that alloy fenders are the way to go. Plastic fenders didn't really began usage until about 1972 and then most only used them on the front as aftermarket fenders. If making a rider, I would use the alloy rear and maybe a black or silver front fender. Penton didn't began using plastic fenders till mid 1973. I remember the earlier 1973 bikes still had alloy.
IMHO,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

clayman

Dwight:

Yes, it's just a rider, not a resto, that's why I was opting for the plastic fenders. I truly wish that it had the original fenders, but those, I assume, are hard to find. I don't have the front fender bracket, so that's why I was thinking the "Mudder" due to the fact it had a "built in" bracket, so to speak.

Thanks much for the tips!

Clay Light
Cycle News senior national contributor

Frenfroe

Original PP Enduro Rear just went for $159.50 on ebay. WOW! Opened at $75 so i put in a bid. I may wait and get a new repo one from Al or Strictly Hodaka when they get them reproduced. At least I hope they are working on them. They have reproduced the headlight shell and rear light lense already.

I realize that the PP's didn't appear until around '74 or so but i saw a lot of early 70's bikes still being raced in our neck of the woods in that time frame that were changed to Pettys. The alloys and metal headlights and skid plates were usually swapped for lighter, tougher PP units or to replace lost and damaged originals. Our local Jaycees put on an enduro every year back then, as many as 800 riders. The week after it was over we'd ride the trails again. We'd find all kinds of neat stuff that had fell off, tools, tool bags, sliencers, pipes, skid plates, lights, you name it. My first set of my own tools came off that trail! We found everything short of a complete bike!

I just bought a '72 Six Day. I'm not after a period restoration but a period "as ridden" restoration, so PP's would suit me. It has a pretty good front alloy but no usable rear. Am I correct that the alloy rears aren't available now anywhere?

Frank

Cappy

Clayman,
I am checking out a source here that says he has a very nice PP enduro rear fender for the '74-76 bikes and he produces it in several colors.  The cost was 50 euro for the rear and 35 euro for the front.  I plan to take my NOS fenders up to him tomorrow to make a comparision and if all turns out to be correct I will take some pictures for the POG community.  He also claims to make several of the number plates and front enduro masks.  Let's see where this goes!
Regards,

John Cappel

John Cappel

Kip Kern

Try Steve at Bultaco East.  He had a bunch of PP at Mid Ohio.  ;)

firstturn

Clay,
  Kip is right(again)!:)  Try this web site.  There prices have always seemed in line.
http://www.bultacoeast.com/

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rob w

KIP stands for "Knowledge In Pentons"

Gee, looking at that site makes me want to own a Bultaco.....NOT!

Mick Milakovic

Dave, thanks for the Vintage Iron tip, and say hi to Ross and Emma Lou for me!  ;)

Mick

Dave Withrow

Mick Milakovic

Sure enough Dave, with all of "Team Milakovic" in tow!  See you there!

Mick