Wiseco Help!

Started by OUCWBOY, October 17, 2004, 07:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OUCWBOY

I am trying to find some information on the model year for some Wiseco pistons and rings that I have. Does anyone have access to an old wiseco catalog?
You can Email me at [email protected]
Thanks

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Larry Perkins

Donny

A shop I frequent has one.  Just let me know what you want to know about and I will check.

Larry P

Koen Cuypers

Hello, what type of rings is associated with the next Wiseco Pistons?
(Alu cylinder SACHS 125cc)

168PS => [?]
168P2 => 2146LC
168P4 => 2165LC
168P6 => [?]
168P8 => [?]

Thx, CK

john durrill

CK,
 I did a search on POG messages and found this. It may help some.
John D.

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  10:13:16 AM  
John,
I don't know where a list is on the net, but I have several pages (not complete or even consecutive pages) of an older Wiseco catalog (The catalog number is CB-90) and the only complete Penton listing that I have is:

Penton 125 thru 1982: 462PS through 462P8,
rings are 2126CS, 2146CS, 2165CS, 2185CS, and 2205CS.

There is a numerical listing at the back that shows gives the Wiseco piston numbers for several models:

Penton, Sachs 125: #168
Penton, KTM 125: #397
KTM 125: #404 (repl by #462)
Penton KTM 175 1977-82: #407
Penton KTM 250 1977-82: #416
Penton KTM 400 1976-77: #417
KTM, Penton 125 thru 1982: #462

Hope it helps or maybe someone else has a complete older Wiseco catalog that could get scanned into a PDF file and put in the archive files.

Andy
#14u MOVMX and AHRMA
75 Jackpiner
92 KTM 300

john durrill

Donny,
 Did you get the #'s for the piston you were looking for?
If not i can try some other groups and see if we can find it.
 John D.

Koen Cuypers

[8)]Hello, thanks for the information.
I have completed the list.
*WISECO PISTONS SACHS 125cc*
(Aluminium cylinder with a pressed-in cast-iron liner)

54.0mm => 168PS => 2126LC
54.5mm => 168P2 => 2146LC
55.0mm => 168P4 => 2165LC
55.5mm => 168P6 => 2185LC
56.0mm => 168P8 => 2205LC

Thx, CK

Koen Cuypers

[?]...Has anyone experience with the following piston?
WISECO 397PS KTM 125
It's the same as the 168P but has a slot in the piston just under the rings.

Do someone used it in his 125 Sachs engines?

Thx, CK

Larry Perkins

That is for the KTM 125 motor and will not work in the Sachs engine.  The slot is because the KTM motor had booster ports and the Sachs does not.  If it is a double slot it could be a later reed motor but will not work in a stock Sachs motor.

Larry P

john durrill

CK,
 There are enough NOS Sachs Pistons around. I would stay with them. They will last longer and have better rings than almost any other piston for the Sachs engine.
 The old Wiseco Pistons had an problem with the grind on the pistons taper and were prone to seize. The old Wiseco rings were soft iron and did not last long at all.
 Where are you located at? If in the US, try Al Buehner
http://www.pentonpartsusa.com/
 or Jake Fisher could have the right one. If in Europe then try the Hammers in Germany
http://www.motorrad-klassiker-ersatzteile.de/
 I have bought parts from All of the above  and they are reliable.
John D.

Koen Cuypers

Hi, the quality of the reproduction pistons is relatively weak:
AW, GPM, HGM, MARCA,....[}:)]
Especially the fragile carbon rings are used.
Wiseco, Elko, Mahle and Kolben-Schmidt belong to the quality types.
There is indeed a problem on the wiseco piston type 163P.
The thin rings break quite quickly. The Wiseco 167P (1 top L-ring) and type 168P (2 rings)is very reliable (both usable in any type of aluminum SACHS 125 cylinders).
I got through the Forum noted that even though many Pistons for the iron cylinders used in the types of aluminum cylinder?
Is there no compression loss [?]

SACHS PISTONS

john durrill

KC,
 We have 400 Trail, Enduro type miles on a Iron Barrel piston in an Alloy barrel now with no compression loss.
Doug Wilford is the one to ask about on this. He rebuilds a lot of Sachs engines for folks.
 The Rings that came on the Mahle and Elko alloy barrel pistons  were very good. The top L ring was chrome plated and the bottom ring (Iron and moly like the early KTM 175 rings  i think). We would get one entire Enduro season , year , out of one set of rings and 2 seasons , years , out of the Mahle or Elko pistons back when we sold Pentons.
 That was my experience at the time. The Wiseco's were a real problem in any brand bike  we put them in. They seized often  and the rings wore so quickly that they had to be changed often. On an MX bike after every race was a good idea
 We bored cylinders for our customers and the Wiseco's were so poor in performance that we would not use them unless the customer requested it.
 Thanks for the information you gathered on piston #'s . I know it will help folks down the line.
John D.