Wanted:Parts for '73 250 Penton

Started by firstturn, October 29, 2004, 10:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

Wanted original side covers for 1973 250 Penton Hare Scramber.  I am building a original MX model and am looking for a set of non- restored covers.  Or let me know what you have.  These are the Yellow/Gold color.  NOS ok.  I will buy, trade or?  Any leads would be appreciated.  Also I would like to have the front number plate which is green. Thanks for all the help people have been in the past and I do try to help others when I can.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Mike Lenz

Ron, If you cant find any the right color I may have a good exhaust side you could get painted up the right color.

firstturn

Mike,
  Thanks my Friend you ALWAYS try to help.  I have  sides I was really trying to find some old ones in good shape or NOS ones.  I have NOS covers in all colors except this one and white ones.  Maybe someone will find them.  I passed on a freshly painted set about 5 years ago............I know I should have bought them.  How is the 100 progressing?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Big Mac

Ron- I always thought the '73s had just the pipe heat guard on the right side (ie the Cranke pic on Home page), no right sidepanel until '74? My '73 came to me as a pretty well unmolested bike, with an aluminum left side airbox sidepanel that was just the upside down triangle, no half round number plate area sticking out, and no panel on the right. Maybe there were lots of variations...the aluminum airbox cover side on mine was green on the back and looked to be a painted version of a six-day panel.

By the way, were you the one that bought a restored '73 HS 250 from a guy named Dino in Vancouver WA a couple years back? It went to some POGGER as I recall, as I delivered it to the Forward Air dock.  Jon
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

firstturn

Big Jon,
  There were different variations of the right side cover from the pictures and the one I owned.  There were a lot of painted over parts back then especially when there were changes(or that is what I have seen).  Good point on the green color on the back of the airbox cover.  I found the side cover of my original '73 in a junk yard some years back and will look and see if it was green.
  I didn't buy the bike in Vancover.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

Follow up on the side cover.  It looks like KTM painted the side cover all gold then painted the green number plate to include the entire back side.  I say this because the backside is green and where there are scratches one can see the gold color.  Hope this answers your question John(Mac).

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Mike Lenz

I havent had too much time to do much of anything this year but its comming along. Im currently rebuilding a 125 pipe to go on it. I am going to have to cut the header pipe and angle it a little different. It seems the cylinder sits a little less leaned forward on the KTM bottom end than the Sachs. Im also modifying a 125 cylinder to go on this bike. Has anyone attempted to put a KTM type boost port in the Sachs cylinder? It looks to me like it could be done with a couple 1/4 inch holes in the piston along with a couple dished out slots in the cylinder similer to the early jackpiner boost port. The holes would have to be pretty far apart, kind of above the corners of the intake port where its a little lower than in the middle, but it looks doable. Do this, open up the transfers, modify the intake to run a 30 or 32 bing, raise the exhaust port an eighth of an inch or so and Id bet it would rip!

firstturn

Mike,
  We need to talk on the phone.  I have many variations of portng.  To try and cover it on the forum would take too long.  Let's visit some weekend when we are not busy.  Going to you old home area Thanksgiven..........next to Hinsdale..Burr ridge.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rob w

Ron, Hinsdale ? I've been told as late as last summer that the big ole' original sign for 'Sante Fe Speedway' is still standing somewhere around there. If you find it, ya'oughta see if you can get it. That would be a classic on the side of your garage at home. :D

brob

firstturn

Brob,
  Great idea..........more later.  I will see if Young Ted would like to see some sign action[:o)].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Mike,
 Al had NOS 77 KTM 125 pipes. They were very resonable. I know of one that was fitted to a 74 Sachs engine Six-Day and it worked well.
 John D.

Mike Lenz

Ron, Ill call you. Plus after I asked this question I saw all the talk elsewhere on this issue!!! You now cant even tell where the track (Santa Fe) was, business park! Walnek sells two Santa Fe posters he rescued while they were tearing it down. I lived about three miles from there. Ron,you will be within a half hour of my house west of Bloomington IL on your way by on I55. If it works out maybe you could stop in? Also thanks for the pipe info. I got one of those pipes to use on a 76-77 125 future project. Im going to go with the stock pipe on this one. I,ve always liked that wisper quiet sound of the 125,s, plus maybe I can sneak up on people in a race!!
Mike

firstturn

Mike,
  Email with your numbers again.  I will try to see you if I can.....and thanks for the invite.
[email protected]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Rob,
 Did my e-mail get to you on the 400 pipe file?
John D>

firstturn

I found the airbox cover that is original.  I need the right side cover it anyone has a original.  Thanks........[^]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh