Success with rubber tipped needles!

Started by Dave H., June 11, 2001, 09:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave H.

Success! I was able to make use of one of Bings rubber tipped float needles in my 1972 CMF 125. This solved a cronic flooding problem which traditional methods failed to resolve. To accomplish this, I had to make two slight modifications to the tab on the float: a slot to capture the "nubbins" on the bottom of the needle, and a little rebending of the tab to allow a gentle curve, and to provide the correct fuel level. The needle has a definite tendancy to stick if allowed to free float, and my earlier attempts at spring loading the needle failed: it either wouldn't open at all, or it wouldn't close. A slot seemed like the best idea, in theory the float would actively pull the needle down and open... but the axis of rotation was such that a curved action was required...so I curved the tab...but now the fuel level was too high...finally, by re bending the tab so it was higher, and kept the curve solved the problem. No more flooding, and it doesn't hammer the seat or needle from the high revving vibration. (we race!)