SIX Day 125 Gearing ?

Started by Dwight Rudder, November 15, 2004, 03:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight Rudder

What seems to be the best match up for performance gearing on the Six Day 125 "B" engine ?  I have a 1972 Six Day with a 56T rear and I always seem to be a gear too high or too low.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

firstturn

Dwight,
  What countershaft sprocket are you running?  If you are running a 13 tooth you are probably just a little too low(high on number side=4.30 ratio).  I think the number I always liked for the six speed was more around 4.0 ratio.  I think Doug is the real go to person on this period.  But I thought I would put my 2 cents in first because it is always nice to be corrected by the best[:o)].
Per

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Dwight,
 Paul was talking to me about this at the 2003 RR. He liked the 54 / 14 better on his 125 than the bigger sprockets in the rear. I was running 56 rear and 14 front and it was too low on my 175.
 It was great after my mishap though chuckle chuckle. The bike would go as slow as i needed it to and still carry any of the rock ledges we ran into.:)
John D

Doug Wilford

MX and Enduro, you need to take two different paths of thought.  Enduro given the chance to go fast, to make up time the 14-54 combination was great, also in the tight stuff if you were in 2nd you know you were going to damn slow.
MX you don't need 70 mph top speed, the 13-60 combination always seemed to work the best.   Second gear starts and use the top four gears only with alot of clutch work (feathering) needed, if you have a tight 3rd gear corner, but try to stay out of 2nd, and you have a close ratio 4 speed tranny.   The benifits out weigh the pit falls of missing shifts.

Lew Mayer

Dwight,
my hat's off to you. I didn't get to see you lap me at Monster Mountain, but you must be able to fly on that Hodaka. Guess that's why you're an ISDT guy. Maybe I was stuck in the mudhole when you went by.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Dwight Rudder

Thanks for the compliment, Lew.
Thanks to everyone else for their input. I will check my counter sprocket and see if I have a 13T or a 14T. Sounds like I need a 14T at least.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.