GS6 and MC5 motor differences

Started by mx503, December 07, 2004, 09:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mx503

What is the difference between a GS6 400 motor versus a MC5 400 motor? Is the transmission the big difference? The bike is a 77 model and I was curious if the motor would work fo vintage motocross. Thanks for your help!

Thanks, Bob
Bob Peed

Steve Minor

Welcome aboard Bob......

I think the biggest difference is the GS6 is a 6 speed and the MC5 is a 5 speed.....actually both are 6 speeds but one gear on the MC5 is "pinned", making it a 5 speed....BUT it can be "un-pinned" making it a functional 6 speed. As far a ratios go, I believe 2nd gear on a GS6 is 1st gear on a MC5...

Maybe someone with more knowledge can jump in now......
Steve Minor

John Ehrhart

I am certain someone else will come through with technical differences, but I can tell you from a lot of time riding them, there isn't much difference in power.
I ran a desert race on a friend's MC5 and ran some enduros and two-day qualifiers on my GS6. Apart from being lighter, the MC5 was slightly more crisp with the less-restrictive MX exhaust. Having said that, the GS6 would still wheelie in 5th! Oh, that is, after I finally got the jetting figured out.

1969 Husqvarna 400 Cross
1974 Monark
1975 Jackpiner
1978 GS6 400
1981 250 MX
\\"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.\\"
--Johnny Carson

mx503

Thanks to all who have replied! I have a couple of MC5 250s and I also have an extra chassis. I am looking at a GS6 and thought I could make a pretty good mx bike with all of the parts for the open class for vintage racing. I had a new 76 MC5 250 with Fox Airshox which was awesome! I will keep everyone updated on this progect and I really appreciate everyones input and help!

Thanks, Bob
Bob Peed