John Penton and the Husky 360C

Started by desmond197, December 07, 2004, 09:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desmond197

I am restoring a 1970 Husky 360 C Sportsman. What development input did Penton have with these bikes? I knew that he rode them in enduro's in the late 1960's. What was Pentons relationship with the Husky factory? Are these bikes any good.
Thanks

Kip Kern

Steve  Call Forest Stahl about Husky, (765-284-7653) he can help you with parts and info.  He was a dealer during the "good old days" and used to make road trips to Ohio to pick up bikes for his shop.

Doug Wilford

What I remember is John rode a Pentonized Husky 360 MX with a wide ratio gear box.

desmond197

That is what it looked like in the photo's I have seen. The bike has no lights or light switch under the seats. It then would have the much better MX rear hub and a higher compression ratio motor. The cush drive on the primary gear may have been removed and replaced with the MX primary gear on the crank.

t20sl

Here is an interesting short story about Mr. P. and Husky.  I don't remember if it was 1969 or 1970 but John sent down to my dad's dealership some new "HOT" jet needles for the Husky 360 and 250's.  Said they made more horsepower etc..  This was 1 week before Jackpine Enduro.  So not much time to test.  Did clean up the bottom end greatly.  So, anyway my Penton and dad's Husky 360 and 2 other Husky riders headed up from Columbus, OH to ride Jackpine.  By first gas stop my Penton was the only bike still running.  Seems as the Husky's were all seized up.  Moral of story:  If a 2 storke starts running real clean and making lots of HP its too lean.  Ted

Kevin Grimes

Edison Dye was the importer for Husqvarna in the good old days. John Penton was the eastern U.S. distributor "anywhere east of the Mississippi". Mr. Penton rode the Huskies at the urging of Mr.Dye in an effort to promote the brand starting in 1966. In 1966 and 1967 there was nothing but motocrossers to ride. Most of the events after that in the U.S. the mount was a pretty stock enduro,i.e. 68 Commando 69,70,and 71 Sportsman. As far as the ISDT. Mr. Penton rode one off factory specials in 1967 and 1970 in which he won Silver Medals. These bikes were motocrossers with wide ratio transmissions and in 1970 quick change rear wheels from the enduro models were incorporated. My 1967 Husky which belonged to Leroy Winters has a wide ratio transmission. Leroy also rode the Husky factory specials in the 1966 and 67 ISDT. I have a 1970 Sportsman with the orginal M.S.O. assigned by Penton Imports.

desmond197

Kevin would you like to bring your Husky 360 to the Radonr Concour next September. You can check out the event at //www.randnorconcour.org
The featured marque will be either Husqvarna or MV Augusta we have not decided yet. I run the motorcyle part of the event. This event in one of the premier car and now motorcycle events in the country and is up there with Amelia Island and Pebble Beach. It would be an honor to have one of Leroy's bikes at this event. The car feature marque next year will be Ferrari.

Kevin Grimes

I'm always happy to talk vintage motorcycles. You can e-mail me sometime and set up a time to call.
       Kevin  
       [email protected]