Home Page Photo Quiz - December 2004

Started by Admin, December 15, 2004, 10:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swamp fox

Ron,
Unfortunately, I didn't travel to any of the flat track races. I only knew of their existence from some of the flyers at Stokes Honda. And I only spectated at the Swamp Fox Enduro in the National Forest. I was just fortunate to have aquired my Berkshire back then and was the envy of the neighborhoods. I remember seeing Eddie Stokes flat trackin' around a track behind their shop, and to tell you the truth, it really was something. Besides Gary's guess, I'll try Summerville speedway.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

rob w

Yemmassee, S.C. March 17, 1974

Heat 1...as the eager 125cc riders strained for the blur of the starters flag. Roland Amundson had his trick Rickman twisted to the stop when he dumped the clutch and leaned over the handlebars. It was close to the first turn before his front wheel touched down and the youthful grandfather laid it over to lead the "kids" through the first turn.
 The pack strung out as Rick Bebout clung to Amundson's fender with Carmichael not far behind. In the final turn of the last lap Amundson's iron tablets lost their effect and Bebout's Honda dove underneath for the checkered flag.

In the main event it was Carmichael's turn as he slashed his green Penton into the first turn to lead the pack. On the third lap Bebout slipped by and again opened a good lead, Amundson diced with Carmichael but could not pass and settled for third.

125cc: 1. Rich Bebout (Hon); 2. Thomas Carmichael (Pen); 3. Roland Amundson (Ric).

firstturn

Rob,
  You are my HERO of TRIVIA............I am speechles.

Merry Christmas MR.KNOW IT ALL.  I am proud of this quiz.  Great Job Rob.  [:p]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

The older I get the faster I was!!!

1974 ?????? Man that was 1994 wasn't it?  :D

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

swamp fox

I learn more and more about my own backyard through you guys.

VERY IMPRESSIVE THOMAS

Thanks for the history lesson Rob. I sure hope you have all that literature in a fire proof building. (Charleston had the first in the nation in 1827)

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S

rob w

Ron, Thomas, Bobby, all
Well besides having the reference materials, what's the odds of me finding the story on the same race day that is shown in the picture. That was lucky.
As long as I have this material out and the information on hand, I hope you don't mind me expounding more on Thomas' racing career. My papers are not organized as well as they should be, so excuse me for missing all of the events in which Thomas and his Penton had taken first.

Orangeburg, S.C. April 5, 1974
Heat- "Carmichael's Penton beat Amundson into the first turn and went ahead for the win"
Main- 125cc. 1. Lawrence Snell (Hon) 2. Tray White (Yam) 3. Billy Burton (Yam) 4. Thomas Carmichael (Pen).

Orangeburg, S.C. April 12, 1974
Main- 125cc. 1. Lawrence Snell (Hon) 2. Rolland Amundson (Hon) 3. Rick Bebout (Hon) 4. Thomas Carmichael (Pen).
(note: did you notice here "old man Rolland" parked his Rickman and bought a Honda)

Charleston, S.C. June 22, 1974
Heat- Thomas Carmichael overcame a bad start to win the first 125cc heat.
Main- Snell jumped out front in the 125cc Main, with Stokes and Carmichael in pursuit.
1. Lawrence Snell (Hon) 2. Eddie Stokes (Hon) 3. Soda Edenfield (Yam) 4. Thomas Carmichael (Pen).

Looking back now at the racing from S.C. in this era, I see it was a happening place with alot of different stuff going on. Thomas, I ran across someone named Terrance Carmichael, is that your father?
Pretty soon let's start a discussion about how to set up a stock Hare Scrambler for dirt track competition.
It was fun looking back, thanks.
Rob

firstturn

Rob,
  Great follow up.  I only wish Thomas was around to enjoy all the publicity.  Someone got on this web site and was sooo impressed with Thomas' Racing that theye are going to do a movie about him.  Seriously Thomas and his wonderful Family went on a much planned cruise in the Carribean and will be gone for a week.....he was impressed with THE ROB finding the racing results.
  Like Rob I have been impressed with some on the real talent to come out of the Carolinas in the 70's and the different racing that was done in that area.
  Rob do you remember the up and coming MX star of the 70's from I think North Carolina...was it Mickey Boone?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

swamp fox

Rob,
I'm envious that I didn't race any, and you don't have any literature about my adventures, but at least I did have a Penton back then.;) Thomas could have been in the cycle shop at the same time as I all those years ago, but we'll never know. It makes you wonder --- "What if I'd......." - - , but we can only go forward with what we have learned.

Ron,
Yes, TC said he needed the "salt air fix", and was going south for the week. I sent him a cd with pics from M/O and a Sachs service manual so he could get his steel tanker engine apart and then send to Dr. Doug:D

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S

firstturn

Robert,
  Oh, you heard about the steel tanker Thomas and I found?  We had some help, but Thomas is really happy to have the bike.  Thanks for your help.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

Hi All !! I'M BACK !!!and never happier !! herded like cattle !! hey mister need a taxi??......hey pretty lady need your hair braided .....and I couldn't understand half of the other things said,they could have been talking of that movie about me ! Ha Ha !!

Rob, Terence is my little brother and Malcom is my father and if you see anything on Alan Fisher he also rode a Penton and rode with us.I also raced in G.A. at Oglethorpe speedway . The Penton's I raced were as box stock as you could get !! Only the front rim and tires and gearing were changed !! the rest was pure closing of my eyes and holding it open a little longer that the rest.

Thank You guys for taking your time on someone like me !! I just loved racing on a GREAT bike and this bike is what has brought me to have the Great Friends that I have made with POG !! Great Bikes and Great Friends !! You can't do better than that combo......unless I could get the wife to.......NAH, better quit while ahaed.:D

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tmc3c

Ron, Talking of the south how about Damon Bradshaw, Randy Hawkins, Greg Holder,Mickey Dymond,Larry Ward....There were and still is some fast riders around here.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

Thomas,
  Wasn't Mickey Boone from the Carolinas?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

swamp fox

TC,
They weren't trying to sell you any Maryjane were they?[:0] You know they try that with all the tourists.[8D]

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S

olgoose

Thomas, Those are some great riders you mention. The south has aways had an abundance of super riders. Larry Ward is a transplant from Washington State.

David Duarte
David Duarte loomis, Ca.

tmc3c

Ron, I am not sure of Mickey Boone, I could be wrong but I thought it was Mickey Dymond but you got to remember I have hit a few trees with this head before.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler