Any MZ-B Installation tips?

Started by cubfan1968, January 06, 2005, 08:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubfan1968

Just purchased the MZ-B ignition, have been reading over the directions. I know everyone said its easy, but is there any tips or things to look out for the membership can share to assure a trouble free install. Thanks for your help.

Rod Whitman
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Don Roth

Rod,
Depending on which case you have (A or B) you may need to
do some electrical 'plumbing' to get the wires through the access hole,
fear not, solder and shrink wrap tubing will help, really is pretty
straight forward, just make sure you mark the firing point on the
case somewhere to reference the timing, and as with the motoplat,
a proper ground is required. Oh, yeah, go out and buy some 12 Volt
lights.
-don

Rain Man

Hi Rod, I recently put one of these on my 72 125 six day and it works fantastic. I had to use the original rubber gromet between the ignition cover and the engine case, and as Don suggested, the wires have to be fit through it.
  I also ended up grinding some metal off the shoulder of the mounting bolt pattern for the mag so I could visually align my timing marks. Nothing dramatic, just a quick cut with a carbide grinding tool and it was done.  My job did require a good selection of tools, but every engine can be a bit different.
 I've had mine now for 6 months and I haven't fouled a plug, and the bike starts in 15 degree weather[8D]
 Enjoy and if you have any more questions...

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

rd400pi

Cubfan,
  I installed an MZB on my 250 HS and am pleased with it so far but I was a bit bummed with the instructions.  It references an illustration but didn't actually come with it.  Also, make sure you inspect the entire rotor and stator assembly.  Mine was full of metal shavings from manufacture.  They weren't real obvious to the naked eye at first.  Good luck and by the way, first kick starts are an everyday occurance!

Mike Husted

KTM495CH

For those who do not have the instruction:

http://www.dynamo.mz-b.de/ktm/7044799inst.htm

Has ever someone tried to install such an ignition on a 390/495 engine?

KTM 495/81
KTM 495/82, Works bike from Kes Van der Ven
KTM 495/84
KTM 500/85
KTM 495/81
KTM 495/82, Works bike from Kes Van der Ven
KTM 495/84
KTM 500/85

Rain Man

hey KTM495 CH, I always assumed Switzerland was a very mountainous country, which would indicate anything but flat terrain.  All of your KTM's will do a 100 or so mph,:) do you do a lot of hill climbing [?]  or, wow... talk about big bore work horses !!!  I thought my 360 katoom was a little obsessive

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons