Paint Codes, Paint Codes, Paint Codes....

Started by DKWRACER, January 07, 2005, 08:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Ellis

I just had some Jackpiner blue mix today. Took in a new, stock side cover and the paint shop match it for me. When I took it in to get it matched,I asked if they could make a paint code. They said it would take much longer to do that. They would rather mix it without the code. The paint shop said they could get it the same, after they mixed it the first time.When they mix it the second time they us some type of scope, if I save some paint. The blue I had mixed looks real close.If you get a code for the paints, you have to use the paint that the code are made for. Different paint companies use different pigment in their paints.  Gary

Dennis D

When I did the paint on my 72 Piner the paint store (PPG) put the code in the computer under my name. Whenever I need more they just look it up. I have had the frame paint mixed twice and it came out great. Dennis D

DKWRACER

Sorry to convey a "sense of urgency" in the matter. I do realize that in a manufactures run of some 30 years ago, with the technology they had, variations of hue and depth of color were possible. Now some 30 years later, here comes repo and reclaimed/reconditioned parts. By this post, I think we are able to at least gain some perspectives to establish a base.
Thanks for being contributing POG members....
Thomas Brosius

jj

My painter cleaned up a spot on the bottom side of the tank to make the match.

John J Slivka
John J Slivka

mx503

I have a NOS side cover in orange for the MC5 and GS models. I am in the process of restoring the tank and side covers for one bike and the other is a west coast bike in red that is waiting to be restored. As soon as I have a paint code, I will post it.

Thanks, Bob
Bob Peed

Rain Man

another paint question:
 Is the 76 MC5 the same color orange as the 77 GS models ??  My 76  tank was painted red and the orange under the red seemed a lot lighter than the orange on the 77 GS model.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

mx503

The orange is a light orange on the MC5's and GS models and appears the same for 76 and 77. The red on my west coast bike is an orange-red color that is darker. The orange is lighter than I remember and lighter than the current KTM orange which is very vibrant where the MC5's are much softer or muted. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Bob
Bob Peed

Rain Man

Thanks Bob, that does shed some light on the subject.  Gotta love it,   all I see is big orange in the shop !!!  Now what could that paint code be for the 96 Pumpkin colored katooms !! :D

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Tommy_V

Tom,

I looking to spray bomb the panel I got from you, can't find the Ocean Blue you mentioned.  Is there anyplace to buy it online?  Has anybody else found a spray bomb blue that's close?  I have limited paint to choose from in town.

Thanks!

Tommy
Tommy

DKWRACER

Can try //www.krylon.com
I think they list a retailer near you, they also have a "short cuts" can, smaller in amount, hope this gets you close...Tom....
Thomas Brosius

Tommy_V

I tried there and didn't see the Ocean Blue.  Is it under a different name?

Thanks!

Tommy
Tommy

DKWRACER

Google search for Krylon Ocean Blue gave some hits...Tom...
Thomas Brosius

DKWRACER

Sorry to be such a PITA! Have we established a reasonable match for the green of fiberglass equipped models? To date I only have PPG 44 623, there was some discussion about Restoleum Hunter Green 7538 (rattlecan). I have not tried either.
So close? and yet so far away?......Cumon Penton Pals.........
Tom Brosius ;)
Thomas Brosius

thrownchain

Oh if it were only that easy. I've got 4 sets of six days parts I'm going to have done at the same time so they all match. I'll have the painter code it, and he'll have it for me when I need it.
Tom- good luck!      Dan

V1346

Anyone have a code for a green steeltanker?  I found the Limco 79835 but my paint shop is PPG and they gave a blank look when I asked.  They offered their paint books or a computer match but a real code would be better.