Marzocchi Shock Seals & Rebuild

Started by Big Mac, January 10, 2005, 04:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

Has anyone had recent success in sourcing replacement seals or rebuild kits for the '77-'78 Marzocchi reservoir shocks? Specifically the #3 or #4 versions? The top oil seal especially is very unique in these and not something that's likely ever to be found from a bearing and seal supplier.

I got a rebuild kit for the "AG Strada" shocks from Marzocchi USA in Valencia CA--the only thing they can get from the factory they say for older shocks--Not close to being right, unfortunately. Tried to make contact with someone at Cosmo Motors with no luck, heard that none remain with Donny Smith(?) Anyone with any ideas? Thanks, Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

G Ellis

I sent for some rebuild kits myself.I ordered from MOROZOCCHI USA part number 850193. Everything worked except top seal,so I found a seal that will work. I will look to see what brand and part number they are.I have a old keeping tracks paper that shows Dane,step by step taking them apart. Also have an old instruction sheet for seal saver kit. Let me know if you need some info on them. I will post the new seal numbers in a little bit,I am going to work on my red tank 74 tonight.  Hope this will help

Big Mac

Yes, all that helps a lot. The kit from Marzocchi I got had a couple of parts that looked the same, but a whole lot of misc bits a pieces including a top seal that didn't match to anything I had. I'll check to see what part # they sent and what else they might have they didn't tell me about. Also any info on the top seal you found would be great...had it measured up and eyeballed by a supplier they said outside dimension was a -1/2mm size or a 13/32nd SAE size, so offered no help other than to machine out the seal seat to meet a more standard size. A fax on seal saver info would be really appreciated too! 503-684-7440. Thanks, Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

G Ellis

Here is the part number Dichtomatik TCM size 12x22x7 sc  it says on box that it replaces 12x22x7 -221207-4711 If you can't find any email me at [email protected] and send me your address,and phone number.I will call you and help you out.If you don't find any I can send, some to you. The only thing in the kit I didn't us was the top seal. I will copy the info and fax it to you on Wed. Hope this will help.The sizes are in metric. Gary

smkt342

Would you mind faxing me the info and keeping track article as well?
Fax # (402) 501-0144

Thanks!

Keith T

Big Mac

Thanks Gary- I'll look into that seal and talk more to the Marzocchi guys. And will call you if I get stuck. Thanks again!  Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

G Ellis

Mac and Keith, I faxed info to the both of you. Hope this will help, let me know if you need anything else. Gary

Big Mac

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

smkt342

Got mine too!  Thanks Gary!

Keith

Jdbglover

For the Marzocchi Shock seals, my seals are for the 10 mm shaft.  I was able to get a similar replacement seal from the company Metric Seals, Inc. in Westfield,IN. The original seals on my shocks were the 10-22-7/7.5 BABSL, Metric Seals had a replacement size in the size of 10-22-6/6.5 BABSL. So far the seals are not weeping, so maybe a millmeter less in height will be okay.

Here is a link to there web page for the BABSL type seals
http://www.metric-seals.com/Oil_Seal_BABSL.htm

John