Rear rim/hub

Started by tmc3c, February 01, 2005, 08:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

Has anybody had problems with their rear rim having a little side to side play? I mean when I grab my tire I feel a shimmy of play and I already know that when I replaced the bearings in the hub that the hub had cracks in the housing but we used a type of adhesive used to hold bearings in place.My spokes are tight.Any Ideas??

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Randy Kirkbride

Thomas,
How about the swingarm bearings/bushings??

tmc3c

Could be Randy,I will check it. Thanks

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

KTOOM

THOMAS,  I TO HAVE ENCOUNTERED THIS PROBLEM.  THE CULPRIT WAS THE AXLE. IT HAD EITHER BEEN SANDED MANY TIMES OR HAD SPUN ON THE RACE.  THE DIA WAS SLIGHTLY UNDERSIZE AND DID NOT FIT SNUGLY TO THE INNER RACE.   HOPE THIS HELPS.    JOE WRIGHT

tmc3c

Hi Joe, When I did the resto on this bike I replaced the rear wheel bearings and I bought a new axle also due to the fact I couldn't get the old one out.But I didn't replace the swing arm bearings because they felt tight but I could see your point about the axle and I appreciate you taking your time with me.Welcome to POG and I like your POG name ! Thanks Again

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

Thomas,
  Joe is one of the good guys...oh I mean Good Fast Guys.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

Ok Guys,Here is what I got.I put the bike up on a stand and I moved the tire side to side and I can see the bearing moving in the hub race on the side without the rear sprocket.The play is light but I am worried that it will get worse.The bearings are new and are the correct size.I guess the only fix is a new hub.I will watch and see if it gets worse when I ride,Magnesium isn't holding up in the long long run:D

Joe are you FAST on vintage or are you riding new?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

Thomas,
Give me a call this weekend on my cell and I will help you with hub.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

Thanks Brother !

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

wildman

I too have had that same problem on my rear hub, here is how I fixed it.
Take a feeler guage and slip it between the bearing and hub to get an idea of how much clearance you have. You may use calipers or inside mic. if you have them. Divide by two and find some shim stock maybe .002 bigger. I worked at a die shop and they have all widths and thicknesses. Sometimes I will cut up a tin can.
Clean the hub, bearing and shim stock with contact cleaner and get some RED loctite.
Now for the tricky part. You want to cut the shim stock to just fit the circumference of the bore, no overlaps. Put the shim stock about halfway into the bore after coating the parts with loctite, set the bearing into the shimstock and drive the bearing in as you normally would. Ideally, the shim will slip in with the bearing for a nice force fit. I like to heat the hub with a propane torch slightly to set the loctite faster. This has worked for several years now. Hope this helps save a hub! Dan Pagel

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

Rain Man

Thomas,  I'm not real sure, but every rear wheel I've eva muckled onto, has had some "flex" to it.  metal is made to move, so it dosen't crack or break.(physics 103) I'm not sure what your seeing for play, but the rear wheel will flex if you push on it hard enough.

I'll check all of my bikes tomorrow and see what kinda movement I'm getting. I bet i'll be surprised too !!  PFFP

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tmc3c

Raymond, When I put my rear bearings in I saw the cracks in the hub race.I just thought it would fix its self but it didn't and now I am having some side to side play,not much mind you but I am worried that it could get worse and leave me walking in the woods.

Dan,I can see what you are saying and that might be the ticket but when doing this would it be putting pressure on the hub race and cause it to crack more? or would it distribute the pressure out evenly? I know that the the axle was wore pretty bad when I got it and I replaced the axle and bearings but the hub is oringinal and the axle being wore is most likley the cause of the cracks in the hub like Joe said above.Thank You Guys for your time and trouble !!:D

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

wildman

Please excuse me, Thomas. I did not read your post thourghly enough and missed the part about cracks. Unless they can be welded my fix will be of no use. I think you will be looking for another hub or wheel soon, sorry! I wasn't really happy to fix my hub that way but mine wasn't cracked and it does seem to be holding for now. I'l bet someone has a spare for you. Good luck, Dan Pagel

tmc3c

Thank You Dan for your help !And I still might go that way, it can't hurt.:)

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler