petcocks

Started by Mike Horton, February 02, 2005, 03:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Horton

When removing the fuel line today so I could drain the gas tank, the barbed nipple came out of the petcock. Is the petcock now history or can nipple just be pressed back in. It appears to have a bushing on it at the end  If not how about using JB weld ?  How do these bike run on one petcock ?  Thanks again for all the valuable info !!

Mike Horton

firstturn

Mike,
  I am sure someone else has a better answer than this, but here is what I did the one time this happened to me.  This happened at a race so I just cleaned the OD (outter diameter area) of the nipple and cleaned the inter area as best I could and wrapped the nipple with teflon tape and eased it back into place.  It never leaked.
  Second answer I would offer is to find some glue that won't desolve with the presence of gasoline and use it to hopefully permanantly seal the nipple to the main fuel block.
  I hope this helps Mike.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

Just another note on why these nipples come off.  I always cut my old fuel lines off.  I find that most people take pliers and try to rotate the fuel line off.  If the fuel line has been on since 1974 and someone is using pliers to get it off you sometimes end up rotating the line & nipple and it comes off the petcock block.  Just more words of wisdom from someone who has made the same mistakes that I warn others not to make.[:o)]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

DKWRACER

Mike, this may help as I had the same issue....With the nipple in hand, I was able to file off some of the outer chrome down to the brass, then I "tinned" the end of the nipple with solder. The recess in the body can be cleaned out with scotch brite and then clamp the valve in a vise with a wet rag to act as a heat sink...I used a small amount of flux in the hole and then re-swetted the nipple into the main body, has held for 10 yrs. hope it works for you..
Tom
Thomas Brosius

slvrbrdfxr

Hi all,
Does anyone sell replacement plastic screens for the petcocks ?? I didn't see any listed on Al B's website. My fix for the broken outlet tube would have to be aircraft fuel tank sealant PR1422. Once that stuff cures it does not leak and stays somewhat flexible. You might be able to get some from your local airport FBO or aircraft supply store. Probably won't be cheap though.
Dave McCullough

farmer58za

Those plastic screens get brittle and break off as you turn them out. I "fixed" one just the other day by filing off the outside until I had a small enough diameter to force/screw back into the threaded hole.
Let's see how long it stays on

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS175
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David