Do I Love My Pentons?

Started by DKWRACER, February 04, 2005, 09:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKWRACER

Let me count the ways....
Much like some of us, were we really ever sure where we would be today with the beginnings we had.
My first encounter with a Penton was at a local race in Colorado, seen in the back of a pickup, was a 75/250. I was very impressed! The owner of that bike would later to become one of my most closest friends, that was somewhere near 1982. His name is Gary Leiker
And so "sets" the "wayback" machine to a time when I was a teenager in Santa Monica, Calif..
In the hood was John Palfrymen's Triumph shop, also was Ted Evans in Marina Del Rey, then there was Webco, where my brother worked as a shipping agent... days spent drooling over everything.
Near Venice Beach, was Huge's Aircraft off-limits property...One day, my brother and I went there, and saw this wonderfull Hodaka 125 pullin wheelies everywhere, I was stoked!!! Those early years really paid off! Planted were seeds, and I became an owner of a DKW100/Earles FE... We went everywhere!!!
Then came a "Dalesman" with which I completed the "Funky Pumpkin" enduro in Lucerne Valley...
Let me tell you of the smells of the high desert in the spring, when flowers are blooming..."sweet" camping was "awesome"
Coming forward a bit, I left Calif. in 1976, and found a new home in Colorado. I brought my "steeds" with and did a few tours, to see the sights.
Then came an opportunity to race, I think it was in 80 or 81. I ran into a group of pals, who had local "cow chip" scrambles. If you ever run into Jeff Ekers in Colorado, you will meet a very fine fellow.
So I yanked up a 69 Bultaco Matador and went racing. Didn't fare very well, but still had fun!
Then comes Gary Leiker.........We made immense friendship, thru him I met David Lindemann, and the stories continue.....
So many stories, all good
So where does this all lead?
Very Happy, with Pentons and...
Still Keeping Track
Tom Brosius AHRMA #69R/POG#135
Thomas Brosius

tomale

Hey Tom... Way back machines. Your story reminds me of the days when I use to ride in a place called ClearCreek near King city calif. Mostly sand and hills. and one creek running through the whole mess. The water was undrinkable. Kind of funny when you think of it. It was called clear creek. It was clear but had too high of a Alkline content. almost nothing would grow there, but when it rained it was the best place to ride. MY bikes are Wayback machines but not like you would think. I am not trying to find my youth but go back to enjoy riding when it still ment something, when it was about the bikes we rode and the friends we met along the way. A friend said something the other day that make sense. I showed them a picture of me at the Reunion and they said it looks to me you feel more at home on a bike than anywhere else. I had never thought of it that way but it is true. It is a part of me that can never be replaced with something else. I tried that and it does not work.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

DKWRACER

Hey Bro, slot cars had their way with me too, I was addicted, even went all the way to San Leandro TX for a hugh CMRA race. Does that ring a bell of memories!!!
The BAT PAN chassis....sorry, I digress[}:)]
Parma, Mura, Cox, Testors, Ruskit, only to mention a few....
Tom....
Thomas Brosius