Looking For "Greeves" Book

Started by Kip Kern, February 20, 2005, 05:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kip Kern

I know this doesn't pertain to Pentons; however, does anyone out there in POG land have a book titled "Greeves" published by Osprey?  Covers the entire Greeves line of bikes.  ISBN 0-85045-882-x.  This is a toughie as I have tried Amazon, Motorsports, Ebay etc. If you have one and wish to give it up please let me know!  I am working on the Wassell's twin brother, a Pathfinder, and could use the reference for restoration.  It was last printed in 1988.  Thanks!:D

firstturn

Kip,
  Have you tried your local library?  Sometimes I have found some out of published books on racing and bikes by asking the local library to search the state computer.  They can then in turn have the book transfered to that location.  Just a shot in the dark, but it has worked for me.[8D]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

robbersroost1

Kip,  Check out //www.home.earthlink.net/~frank1328. This is a great Greeves site. I also have a friend in Utah that might be of some help. Wish I could find a Pathfinder, would be a great bike to have next to my Wassell's. I send you a article I have on it.

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

3putt

Kip,
Have you spoken to a fellow from Calif, Name, Frank Conley.  I spoke to him on the phone several times several years ago when I was considering a Greeves bike.  He was very knowledgeable, but did NOT take email, and prefered to do business over the phone.  He bought out former Greeves Distributors, and seemed to have some inventory of items.  He might have some quality photos.  I can locate his phone number if you care go that direction. During my search, I found and photo copied a book that had some Greeves info in it, along with a couple of Pathfinder photos using 169cc Puch power. Photos I have are not high quality, sorry, but more than willing to send along to you.  Good Luck !!    Regards,   W. Nelson McCullough

Nelson

Dennis Jones

I ask Frank about a Pathfinder once, and he quickly told me that they were not a real Greeves and of no use or value. That was the last time I called and I threw his parts catalog away.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

bbeck3100

Frank's a good guy, just a little set in his ways. I bought my copy of the book you're talking about from him. 831 659 4958. Check out his website. I'm not sure of the address, but google "Greeves" and you'll find it right away.

Blair Beck

Kip Kern

Thanks fellow Poggers, I appreciate all your help, I'll give these suggestions a try!  It is amazing how the Pathfinder matches the Wassell Penton, not only in looks but history. [^]

Dennis Jones

Kip, I will forever kick myself in the butt for walking away from the Pathfinder your friend bought. What a great Classic class bike. Bob Ginder rode the AHRMA 1 line for a season on one and was amazing to watch. I can't wait to see it after you have worked your magic on it.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Kip Kern

Dennis  Thanks for the compliment, very thoughtful!  I look forward in working on all types of European machines/engines as it keeps the mind working hard.  The Puch engine looks like fun to tear down[:0]  Now if I can only convince my paint gun to spray British Green frame paint!;)

desmond197

Hey Kip glad to hear you got a Pathfinder those are great bikes I have two Pathfinders. Frank hates the Pathfinder and has no parts for them.  I think that the Pathfinder is the first modern trials bike with it's high output motor. Ther are some nice custom Pathfinders running in ARMHA trials. Parts are about nonexistant for these bikes. There is a NOS enduro seat on Ebay at the moment. Hubs are the same as the Benelli Panther and a lot of other small Italian bikes I think they were made by Ceriani. Cosmo has the parts for them. Forks are Metal Profile or Ceriani. I could send you a copy of the parts catolog and a copy of the sales brocure. Motors are stock Puch The bikes are stone simple and any missing parts are easy to make. Let me know if you need anything.

Kip Kern

Steve  Thanks for the thought, I could use a copy of any parts info or service literature especially with photos (exploded views)  Be more than happy to pay you for the info or copies!  Kip Kern 7696E 100S, Marion, IN 46953;)

Kip Kern

Was able to order two of the "Greeves" books from Frank.  Thanks for the help folks!:D  Now to find a few Pathfinder spares![?]

desmond197

Parts book copy and copy of brocure are on it's way. No Charge let me know what you need and I may be able to help.

Kip Kern

Thanks Steve, How is the Guitar business going?[8D]