'81 RV 250 motor?

Started by Dave Withrow, February 25, 2005, 08:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Withrow

I recently aquired a KTM 250 GS with a reed valve motor.  I didn't think the larger bore bikes had them until '83, but all ID numbers (and the clock) state '81. It also had a Mikuni carb instead of a Bing. Does anyone have any info on this motor?  Is the RV cylinder interchangable with the non-RV?  Help is definitely needed.  Thanks, and...........GO PENTON!

tlanders

Dave,

My understanding was that the reed valve engines started in 1982. If yours was a late 1981, it would make sense. The Mikuni is probably an add on by someone else. Are you wanting to trade cylinders? Is the pipe appreciably different from your non reed valve cylindered engines?

Teddy

Dave Withrow

I thought I'd give it a try a see what happens(BOOM).  The pipe appears the same, but I haven't checked it against the parts book.  

BTW-I mailed your tank strap yesterday.  How's the ribs?  I like mine with BBQ sauce and a hint of lime!

Mike Lenz

Dave, Must be a newer cylinder. No reeds until 82 bikes. I have parts manuels if you need. Hey, I need a tank strap and airbox. We need to get together. Dave/Teddy, ever had Memphis, TN ribs!!!

tlanders

Got the tank strap, thanks. Don't forget Mike needs one too. Memphis ribs are great.

Teddy