Wassell Age

Started by Johnno, March 09, 2005, 04:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnno

I was wondering if any of you could help me date a British made Wassell bike that I'm currently restoring.

The frame is of Reynolds tubing with the number W2722MX

The engine number of 7317465 is for a 125/6b Sachs.

Many thanks
jd

jd
jd

Dennis Jones

Hi Johnno,

The MX at the end of the number and the fact that you are in the UK leads me to believe you have a Wassell, Antelope. The same bike sold in the US would have been sold as a Tyran. Most likely made between 72 and 74. Without a picture or more info I can't say for sure. Good luck with your project.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Johnno

Thanks for the reply Denis.

I looked on the web and found a picture of a Tyran and it does look pretty similar.

I've posted a few pictures on the blog I set up at http://wassell-sachs.blogspot.com The bike is as I bought it many years ago except the seat is fire damaged from when we had a fire in the workshop.

jd

jd
jd

Johnno

Has anyone else got any images or links to images for Antelope or Tyran bikes. The bike I bought has always been in pieces so I could do with some images to reference against.

jd
jd

Dennis Jones

Johnno, try the search button in the top right corner of the page, I think there is some info there. From your pictures your bike is either a Tyran or an Antelope.VMX magazine issue #19 2003 had a feature on the Tyran,very cool bike.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Knute

Mark Holloway, a regular on this site, also has a Tyran 125 that can be seen on his web site under "In My Collection".

//http://www.calvmx.com/guestbook/

Kent

TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

desmond197

Your bike looks to be complete which is good. If the fork tubes are rusty you may need to have them rechromed as they are very hard to find. I have three Wassel MX bikes at the moment.

Steve Metz

Johnno

Steve

I have only found one image so far of a Wassell MX so could do with a couple more from different sides of the bike. Do you have any you could email me please.

I do know that the air filter cover is missing and also the exhaust heat guard so I will need to source both of these.

jd
jd

Johnno

Dalesman49

many thanks for the photos. I now realise that I was wrong about missing a heat guard from the exhaust. The photos show that the exhaust takes a completely different root from where I thought it went. For some reason I thought the exhaust came around the side.

cheers

jd
jd

Lew Mayer

Hey Dennis! Know where there are any trials bike seats?

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Dennis Jones

Lew, They are impossible to find. I have a pattern for the base whitch is easy to make. Teddy's friend in Westplains was working on making repacement covers from an old one I sent him. He sent me a couple and the fabric looked great but the fit was not quite right. I never heard back so I guess he decided it was not worth the trouble. If I could get good covers at a resonable cost I would reproduce the seats. Sargents in Florida made one for me that looked great but cost a fortune.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Glenn Berry

Dennis, I am a friend of Lew Mayer's, I meet you at Ohio at the POG meeting at the AMA musuem. I recently bought a wassell that looks to be complete except a seat. I'm sure I find other parts missing as I get involved in putting it together. I have one leade on a seat but might be interested in a seat pan from you. We have a friend that got Lew's seat recovered and hope I can get him to make a cover for mine, and can find out if he can make more.                            Thanks, Glenn Berry  PS the beer you gave us was excellent.

Glenn Berry
Glenn Berry

Dennis Jones

Glen, I'm glad you got to race your Piner. They are a lot of fun to ride.Congratulations on finding the trialer, with a little tweeking they can be made to work real well. Let me know if I can help. I hope to see you and Iron Lew at a race soon to find out how you did at those *special* Daytona contests.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones