Comprehensive insurance (fire & theft)

Started by t20sl, March 11, 2005, 06:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t20sl

Has anyone had experience with an insurance company that will write comprehensive only insurance on a motorcycle?  Auto insurance companies will write it for autos and boats but I have found that Progressive, Erie and Geico will not for motorcycles.  This is probably an industry wide problem.  Seems like they are discriminating against motorcyclists.  My policy is priced with each item individually but that's about it.  Progressive's claim is their price already has figured in a 3 month lay away period for winter.  My point is that owning several bikes I don't ride, I shouldn't have to purchase liability and collision if they never leave the garage.  All comments, suggestions welcome as I may start a one man campaign against this inequity. To clarify further Ii have 8 bikes which haven't been ridden in 5 years, why should I have to pay for liability?.  why should people have to gamble over over pay insurance companies 3 to 4x  the preminium for comp only.  Wouldn't all of us insure our vintage bikes for theft and fire if it was only $10 to $20 bucks a year? come on write your state insurance regulatory agency.  I have. Ted

Mick Milakovic

Hi Ted,
Go to the "search" function on the site and type in insurance.  I remember some posts last year about getting your bike appraised and then insured for the appraised amount.  Seemed pretty reasonable at the time, but I've never done it.

Mick

firstturn

Ted,
  Are you talking strictly new bikes or antique bikes or a mix of both?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Tennessee Vol

I had a friend who recently had 3 bikes stolen.He now has insurance through progressive it is less than $100.00 per year for a bike.Mainly all it covers is theft,but that is all a dirt bike rider needs.

I am not totally sure about all the deatils of the coverage but he done it all online.

He is pleased with his coverage and not having to worry about losing $20,000.00 in bikes again.:(

Bobby Stults
Bobby Stults

Mick Milakovic

Bobby - I'm curious as to how the insurance company determines the value of old bikes?  Surely a documented appraisal of some sort is in order?

Mick

Frenfroe

I used Progressive through my local independant agent. I think there is a min. charge of $50 to write a policy. A Jackpiner and a 2002 GasGas 280 with comp, liability, uninsured motorist, and $10,000 medical was less than $150/year. The Jackpiner was road registered and insured for a stated $1500, I think. Every state will vary though. Neither had collision, for some reason they didn't want to write collision for a dirt bike, wonder why?
Frank in GA

robbersroost1

Ted,  I have my Pentons insured with American Collectors Insurance of Cherry Hill, NJ. The value was based on my E-Bay auction. The year policy is about 200 dollars for both my bikes. I used my local ins. agent for the policy. Hope I was of some help.

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

Keithuu

Hi folks;
Without meaning to sound like a broken record, I strongly recommend that anyone who rides a motorcycle in a public venue, whether it be on a track or trail, sanctioned event or casual ride, carry PL/PD coverage.

I personally know of instances where riders have run into other bikes, quads, kids on Sting Ray bikes (really!!), and trucks while trail riding and I know of an incident where a stuck throttle resulted in a bike being launched into fans at a sanctioned hillclimb, resulting in injury to fans.

In every case, irrespective of fault, the riders faced litigation and were glad they carried coverage. Remember, you don't have to be wrong to pay. Here in Michigan at least, the law seems to say. "Someone got hurt, someone has to pay!!".:(

Keithuu
Keithuu

t20sl

James

State farm will write a policy covering my Maico for an insured value of $6000.00 replacement costs. e-bay autions and receipts are needed. I think i was quoted about $ a year 150. James

7" and 4" travel? Hmm-that makes 11" Hey! I can live with that.
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

OhioTed

Ted, my wife is an insurance agent, and she has some facts which could help you.  If you want, drop us an e-mail and she will review with you, what is and is not offered by the insurance companies.  We are in a situation similar to yours, and can relate.  Ted G.

Rain Man

I use Smith and Wesson Insurance myself for theives :D

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

James

That's funny..over the years I have used them as well as Ruger, Remington, Winchester, and Colt. James

7" and 4" travel? Hmm-that makes 11" Hey! I can live with that.
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.