Steel Tank Questionnaire

Started by Admin, March 14, 2005, 07:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

Rob W,

YOUR NEXT MESSAGE IS #1000 SO MAKE IT GOOD.  I HAVE ENJOYED ALL YOUR INPUT OVER THE YEARS AND ESPECIALLY YOU INPUT INTO THE QUIZ.

MAKE IT A GOOD ONE.[^]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Doug Wilford

Rob;
The Penton name plate on the sides of the engine began in between  69 and 70.   The story and reason:  After John ordered enough of the 1251/5A engines from Sachs for them to start an assembly line they also started making SACHS Motorcycles, of which were imported by a company up your way in MI.    John told Sachs he would not advertise for Sachs (reason for case plates)and if they didn't stop selling Sachs in the US.  He would go to Puch and use their engines.    Sach then changed to DKW and all was well again except, we had a few thousand pairs of the Penton case plates and continued to sell them as a Hi-Point Acc

rob w

Doug,

Thank you for explaining that.
You know I appreciate hearing and learning those bits of Penton info and lore for the first time.
I don't search for these questions, they just rise to the surface when stirring the pot in the quest for knowledge.

I remember back a couple years ago when I was just a young grasshopper here in the POG. You told me to be patient and the answers will come with the questions.

Must say, I'm very excited about the new Steel Tank Book to be published. It's going to be great, really looking forward to it.

Thanks
Bob