Steel Tanker Questions

Started by peter kane, March 29, 2005, 01:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter kane

I'm looking for a close up photo of the expansion chamber mounting tab under the right side of the seat.  I believe the tab was just about ¾-1" long and just about as wide with a hole in the center for mounting the rear section of the expansion chamber.  Mine broke off and I need to fabricate a new one.  Does anybody have a photo or exact measurements of this tab?  This is for a 1970 steel tanker.

The alloy tri-clamps and headlight mounting hardware on my bike are like a transparent gold color.  I believe it is some sort of clear coating that yellowed over the years.  Were these items intended to be aluminum color with a clear coat, or are they in fact a goldish color.  The same with the aluminum fork legs – they're not the same goldish color as the tri-clamp and headlight mounts but they look like they have a clear coat on them.  Do they?  Is there a grain on the fork legs (up and down or side to side) or are they lightly polished w/o any visible grain?

Thanks-

Peter Kane
V3442
Plainville, Massachusetts
[email protected]
Peter Kane
1970 Six Day
Plainville, Massachusetts
[email protected]

Kip Kern

Peter, Have Al cut one (exhaust bracket) off an old frame he has and ship it to you.  I just had him cut the rear section off a frame for me so he should have a left over part for you with a little luck.  I also had him send a rear gas tank mount for the steel tanker.  The aluminum parts you refer to were silver with clear coat.  I normally blast mine to natural and just clear coat them.  The fork legs polish up nicely with Jewlers Rouge (sp) and a cotton wheel.  Don't make them too pretty!