1974 Penton 250 for sale/trade

Started by behindbars, November 03, 2005, 09:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

behindbars

I just picked up another Penton. Now I have more bikes than I have space for so something must go. I'd prefer to swap for parts I'm needing for my 1975 400. I'm trying to build it back to it's original state with all original parts......quit laughing. ;) The bike I'm offering for sale/trade is a mostly complete early 1974 250. It's missing the carb, stator, and rear engine brackets. Motor is not stuck, but the internal condition is unknown. It last ran in 92 when the stator failed and was parked indoors ever since. Some minor surface corrosion but nothing heavy. The outside of the cases are not rotting. Laydown shock mounts have been added to the frame. It does have the title from the original owner and the frame and engine numbers are correct. I really would hate to part a matching number bike, especially since it has an original title, but I can't keep everything. I would think it would be worth more in parts, but hopefully someone will buy it complete....or swap me for the parts I need for the complete bike. I'd also certainly be willing to add some extra cash for the stuff I need as I know these parts are very tough to find in excellent shape. I'm looking for a pipe (I already have a decent one), side panels, fenders, and a tail light for a 1975 400 Mint. If there is no interest in a swap, I'd take $600 for the complete bike. Herm....if you read this thanks for all the good info yesterday on the phone. It was a pleasure speaking with you and I'm keeping my eyes open for that 125. You can call me @ 269 683-1600. I'm a really lousy typist so a phone call is much easier. I'm located in the Southwestern lower corner of Michigan. A big thank you to the guys who maintain this site. I'm sure it's lot of work.
James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250

behindbars

I'm dropping the price for the bike to $500. Pics on request.
James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250

behindbars

It would appear that there is no interest in this 74 250 so for parts it will go. I pulled the cylinder to inspect the bore and cases....here's what I found. Cylinder is @ 71mm with excellent mating surfaces and no rust. There is ZERO corrosion in the crank case. The crank halves are completely rust free and there is no evidence of moisture in the lower end. Very light corrosion under the flywheel, but certainly nothing to cause concern. The rod is decent with only a VERY slight amount of linear play. I'd say it's just out of spec, but would run fine if your just going to tool around on it. It should at least have a new flywheel side main bearing as there is a slight amount of play at the flywheel. If the main seals are good I'd say this lower end would run well as is though. All in all it's a very good core engine that's a long way away from being a piece of e-scrap like you are likely to find on the unmentionable site. I am a motorcycle mechanic by trade so you can have confidence in my evaluation. [:p] I am keeping the front wheel, forks, and swingarm axle, but the rest can go. Still looking for parts for my Mint. Probably not much interest in swapping for 1974 Yamaha YZ250A parts....or Elsinore stuff here, but I have quite a few NOS and excellent parts for these bikes to offer for trade as well. You can call 269 683-1600 with any questions or email me.
James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250