Questions....questions...questions

Started by behindbars, November 04, 2005, 08:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

behindbars

Just wondering about a replacement rear fender. I have 2 Mints. The dates of manufacture are 4/05 and 4/11. They have different rear frame loops. The earlier one has two mounts near the rear of the loop for the fender, and the later frame has no mounts at all...only a half round clamp to mount a fender to. No modifications done to either one and they are both the lay down shock frames. My question is, what rear fenders did they use? I would imagine they must have used different rear fenders? The overall length of the seat is different also with the later frame having a 2" longer seat. The tool kits are different also in the way they mount to the frame with one style resting on the slanted portion of the loop and the other rests on a horizontal section. They are not interchangeable. Would this be due to one being an MX and the other an enduro, or is this another mid year change from Penton? One more question.....did any of the Pentons come with Koni shocks? My manual lists them as a recommended fitment and the early Mint I have came with a set. Would the bike made 4/05 be one of the first Mint's with the laydown frame? The engine number seems very early as they are 4-5500029. I have both bikes up and running strong now with only a good cleaning needed. With a lot of help from this forum, I hope to restore them back to their original state....if possible. Thanks for this most helpful site...and thanks for having patience with the new guy with all the questions.[:p]
James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250

rob w

Hi James,

Yes a 405 dated Mint 400 is the earliest one in that model I have ever heard of. From your engine number, it was only the 29th big bore KTM production engine made. That bike must have came from their maiden run of the Mint 400's. That to me says it's very much worth saving and restoring.
-
Previous to the 1976 models, both the Enduro and MX models used the same frames. Meaning either style of rear fender can be adapted.
-
The differences in rear frame loops and seats is another example of the rapid evolution and mid-year changes that occured with these bikes.
-
The tool bag racks had to change as well, because within that period the rear frame loop was bent up higher at the very rear with a steeper angle at the bend, and the longer GP style seat left less mounting area on the flats of the frame loop.
-
Again, either frame at the time would have been used for both the Enduro model, as well as the MX.
-
The Koni's on the 405 bike could be original to that bike. (that's also rare and trick) When the news of the new Mint 400 model was first introduced through the "Keeping Track" newsletter. The talk was that it would be fitted with Koni rear shocks. Although that may have been true with a few, shortly after that they appeared with a new model of Ceriani's, which is the common shock associated with the '74 1/2 models up until the Marzocchi's arrived on the '75's.
-
I have'nt forgotten what you need, I still have my eye out for a tail light and speedometer mount for you. As far as a 400 Enduro pipe goes, that's a toughie. But if you happen to have a decent 400 head pipe, and can find any good rear section of a chrome tipped Enduro pipe, I'm able to put them together and make you a good exhaust.
-
I was looking forward to meeting you at Red Bud, unfortunately that was the same day as my sons biggest football game of the year. They ended up having a undefeated season.

Bob W

behindbars

Hi Rob. Sorry I missed you at Red Bud. I ended up not racing anyway though. I showed up with a 1980 KX125 to ride and I loaned my 1978 CR250 to my friend Greg to race. During practice I saw Greg pulled off the track trying to put the chain back on. I didn't stop to see what happened, but when we got back to the pits after practice I noticed that my bike was leaning hard to the right. Greg had over jumped the ski slope landing and came down so hard that he bent the frame and swingarm. The rear hub was broken, the rear axle bent so severely that it would not come out, the front wheel had bent the spokes out like bananna, the right peg folded down, and the shocks were bent as well. Man...I can only imagine how hard that landing must have been. Anyway....since Greg was OK and is about 10 times faster than I am I just let him ride the KX. I was so tired from practice that I knew my chances of finishing well were slim at best against the 490's and 465's anyway. [xx(] Thanks for taking the time to answer all of my questions. I'm definately going to keep both of the 400's. I was pretty excited when I saw the date on the frame and the low engine number. The earlier Mint has the bullet shaped exhaust end and it's in very restorable shape with no dents. The tip is still intact, but it had been removed at one point to clean the carbon I would suspect. I should be able to restore it to near new condition. The later bike has the big flared end silencer with the chrome tip. It has a nasty dent right in the seam where the pipe passes by the rear shock mount. I'll try to blow it out, but dented seams are nearly impossible to repair without leaving some evidence of the dent. The tip has been brazed back on as well so I really hope I can find a better one. The headpipe is dent free, so if I could find a good tail section it could be repaired. I won't be needing a speedo bracket as the low number Mint came with one that's in great shape. I still am searching for the tail light though. I'm going to set one up as the enduro and the other the MX. Luckily the early model came with both the MX tank and the enduro. The MX tank was removed very early in it's life so it's solid. Nice to hear your son's team did so well. Maybe we will see you next season.
James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250