triple clamps

Started by Bryson Williams, November 12, 2005, 10:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryson Williams

Does anybody know if the 32mm triple clamps are a different "Trail" then the 35mm on the Pentons and Monarks. I'm assuming that the triples on both brands are in fact the same and interchangable.

I was told that the rake/trail is different and that by machining the 32mm triple to 35mm you retain the turning radius, and have a 35mm front fork you would have a better turning bike.  Any thoughts?.  

Dirk Williams

firstturn

Dirk,
  Just briefly before this discussion starts all over again about using 32mm verses 35mm.  I think you are confusing rake and/or trail with offset.  Even though I haven't measured the triples on the two (32mm verses 35mm) in 30 years I think they are the same.  From there the main difference is when one set has longer TRAVEL than the other set.  If they are the same (travel) the reason to use the 35mm is a stronger set of tubes that won't bend as easily as the 32mm.
  Remember that several things can change rake without even touching the frontend.  I sometimes prefer 32mm forks over 35mm on a play bike for the lighter weight.  For racing a lot of people prefer the strength of the 35mm.  
  Turning radius really has nothing to do with the discussion if the rake is staying the same. I hope that I have expressed this in a manner that you can understand.  Believe me it is a lot easier to discuss this in person looking at a bike.  Just may take.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh