Steel Tanker

Started by Pentonnut, November 16, 2005, 09:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pentonnut

Hello All,

I'm new to this site and new to Penton's. I have acquired a 69 or 70 125cc steel tanker. It's a basket case but everything appears to be there. The tank is still painted with original paint but needs a full strip and re-do.

I heard about a steel tanker project that's going on. What's it all about?

Vic

Vic Schultz
Vic Schultz

Admin

Hi Vic,
If you email us your snail mail address, I'll send you a questionnaire.

Bill
[email protected]

wolfmanonapenton

I think 1969 and 70s were basically the same except # and the pipes and the seats,early machines had 68 style and had iron barrel cylinders and still had stinger pipes,where your 70s had banana  seat and pipe with 72 style end cap and baffle and may have had different rims and newwer style backwheel hub as 69s did too!Lot of mid  year or month changes from one model to the next"what ever was on the shelf"!!!!I've got 10 steel tankers and all are different 68-71 models air cleaners ,pipes, cylinders,connecting rods,clutch covers,ignitions,hubs, rims, tires,forkboots,throttles and seats and swing arms,chain ajusters should be looked at when no # are present. not to mention front fender brackets and handlebars,tanks and I think 69 had tank nuts for toolbag I know for sure all 70s on did! These are great guys on this site that im sure can help you out!:DI forgot to mention steering stops and tank stickers![8D]

OUCWBOY

Wolfman,
One of the biggest differences between the 69 and the 70 was that the 69 had a Sachs with the Cast Iron Cylinder and the 70 had Aluminum Cylinder.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Doug Wilford

Donny is right and the transition was late 69, you have to remember there are no model years with the steel tankers.   That is why it is so important to get the quetioneers answered.   So we can at least put "V" numbers to the modifications and changes that were made to the Steel Tanker in some order.   The book needs this information.  From serial number V 001 to V 7000 there were constant changes.   If all those that own, even just a steel tank frame will answer the questioneer we will able to compile a very close idea when, what and were all these changes appeared.

wolfmanonapenton

My earlyest 1968 is a V440,and my latest71 v2900 my 69 is a v1200 and is original right down to the Bohn cycle,sawmill rd,Pittsburg,pa sticker on the round metal aircleaner cover,and says KTM on the back of the seat!Radelli on front,non shoulderd,Borriani ridged on the rear with an old Barum 6ply!She's agood one!:D

OUCWBOY

Hey Wolfman,
That Steel Tanker with the frame V2900 sure seems to be a very, very low frame number for a 71. I would say it's more like an early 70 model.
I could be wrong, but I was always under the impression that the 71's started somewhere around frame # 4500 or so.
What do the Steel Tank experts think???

Also NEVER saw a 69 with the KTM logo on the seat.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Admin

Wolfmanonapenton,
Couldn't help but notice that you have alot of Steel tank bikes.  If you would like to help the Penton Owners Group and their Steel Tank project, how about sending me your snail mail address and I'll send you any number of questionnaires you may need.

Bill
[email protected]

don howard

Hi Donny. On the steeltanker,s ,that does sounds like a 70 . Mine is a 71 with v5858 frame #      don howard

CharlieT

My '71 steel tanker is V5533. Does have the kTm logo on the seat.

OUCWBOY

Hi Charlie, I know some, it not all the 71's had the KTM on the seat, but as I read it, he was refering to his 1969. In 1969, I never saw a single one with KTM on it. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.
Thanks for the input guys!

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR