carbs

Started by bracing33, November 28, 2005, 05:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bracing33

I have a '74 Jackpiner 175.  The carb was missing on this ride.  I bought a old Penton dealer out of his remaining stock, but no Amal carb.  He did have a Bing, but did'nt have a spigot adaptor.

Which would carb worked better on this machine?  Where could I find the right spigot adaptor for the Bing?

tlanders

I put a 34mm Mikuni on mine and it works great. The adaption of the Mikuni to the fiberglass air box is difficult to do though. I had to shorten the intake manifold, angle the manifold down a little by sanding off a wedge on the engine side of it, and making an aluminum adapter (1/4" thick by about 4" dia) that press fits on the inlet side of the carb so that the air boot can be cut off and fit around a much larger adapter. The inlet side of the carb needs to be turned on a lathe for the press fit. I can post the size of the adapter after I measure it if you would like. JP Morgen taught me how to do this.

The effort is worth it to get a brand new carb for about $110 instead of the Bing for about $360. The Mikuni's last longer and shut off better than the Bings. You just need to put the next size bigger Mikuni on than the Bing that was there because the Mikuni doesn't breathe as well as the Bing when wide open. My Piner had a 30MM Bing on it before.

Teddy