'74 250 Enduro for sale

Started by Mitchell184, December 10, 2005, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitchell184

Hi Folks

I'm pretty clueless about the ins and outs of Penton machinery (which is bad cause I grew up racing mx in northern Ohio in the '70s and lived just 12 miles from the Pentons!), but I've somehow become the owner of a fairly ratty 250 Enduro. It's probably more parts bike than restoration candidate, but that'll be for you to decide. I gave the POG Webmaster the frame numbers and he confimed it's a '75 model. The frame number is 54 507 85662.

[email protected]

A gentleman - and POG member - named Ted has the pix and info too; he's apparently trying to see if he knows anyone who's interested. But I thought I'd toss the hook out in the forum to see if I get any bites. The bike is in Los Angeles.

Thanks much!

Mitch Boehm
Editor
Motorcyclist Magazine
Los Angeles, CA
[email protected]

sixdazed

Mitch,you have mail!    Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

wildman

I think it's a keeper! Nice Hi-point gas tank, pretty much most of the hard parts. Frame can be changed to either lay down shocks or vintage legal position. This is the very same bike model I race in AHRMA.
I know you probably have garages full of modern bikes to ride but it sounds like you have roots in Ohio and were spitting distance from the Penton clan.
How about an article on restoring a vintage Penton with Ohlin shocks, revalved vintage Ceriani forks,a killer motor and ACE or Carl Crank pipe, ect. Then RACE IT! Our Penton group can help with advice and finding parts. Just MHO. Thank you. Wildman

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

Steve Minor

Unless you are really pressed for space, don't do anything right now. Take some time to think about it. You can always get rid of it later, but you might not ever be able to get it back.

My vote is to keep it! You'll always regret it if you don't.

Steve
Steve Minor

Mitchell184

Guys

Thanks for the advice, and the story idea! (I'll think about it for Dirt Rider.)

What I need to know from someone who's unbiased (aka not interested in buying it) is what it's basically worth (barring any huge unseen engine problem, which I don't think it has). I mean, is it a $250 bike, or a $500 bike, or more? I honestly haven't a clue. I'm not trying to make big bucks on it, but I'd hate to sell if for $250 if it's worth twice that. Anyway, any help you guys could provide would be appreciated.

Best regads,

Mitch Boehm
[email protected]

Rain Man

Mitch, I bet if you put just the motor on E-bay you'd get 250 bucks for it.  I just purchased (2)  74~75 250's + some spare parts and both complete,not running, in very much need of overhauls. I'd honestly say your in the ball park @ 4 to 500 hundered bucks.
JMO ~!~

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

wolfmanonapenton

If it runs its worth at least $800.00 to 1,000.00 bucks it might have the special frame?[:o)]

Rain Man

Hey Mr.wolfmanonapenton,tell me more about this 1974 "speial frame".
  I have a 1974 frame that has a steering lock on it, [8D]

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

wolfmanonapenton

You must have a frame possibly imported by an importer of another country that someone maybe brought back on a trip and got through customs,maybe?I would like to see the frame,as that sounds like a rare gs,with steering lock could have been made for an italian distributar?Somehow found its way overhere?The frame im talking about in the subject is the 75-76 mx-crosscountry frames,having non highbreather type frames,when you pull seat and tank off they look like a 72 berkshire,backbone and top of airbox with black triangle bolted to airbox like a 72?I've been told Pentons never came this way unless they were prototypes of an early mc5 long before production?the bikes im speaking of were more common on west coast ktms between75-76 with ktm stripes on the tanks,looked the same as a penton but frames were different?;)

thrownchain

Mitch, have you made any decisions on what you are going to do with the bike???? If you read my question elsewhere, how do you really tell what your bikes worth? I suppose the real question is how much are you comfortable selling it for? And realistically its only worth what you can get someone to pay.[^]

VICTOR MONZ

Mitch:

I know we talked a few weeks back...if you'll take $ 250.00, I'll come out to LA and pick it up ????

I've got a couple of them and could use some of the parts...

Let me know.  Please don't be insulted..that's all it would be worth to me.

Victor Monz

[email protected]

please update me to a 3 year member, thanks

Lee Brown

Hey Pogers long time ago when I was working and racing for Bobby Lucas alias ktm gooroo,and for his vintage race shopin Arlington TX While visiting family in greater Phoenix Ariz area ran across two KTM vintage bikes 75 model machines which I purchased both 250s while dissembling them I noticed both did not have the high breather back bones but single tubes same size tubes found on MC-5S Both motors were stamped late 1975 we figured late year transition into into mc-5 the only two frames we ever saw like that and propably came from west coast dist kind of weird....

Mitchell184

Hi Guys

Just a short note to tell you all that I sold the '75 250 yesterday to Victor Monz, who looks healthy as a horse, btw. (Go Vic! ;)

Best of luck to everyone in '06.

Regards,

Mitch @ Motorcyclist