74 250 Rebuild tool questions

Started by Frosty, December 21, 2005, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frosty

Hi,I'm about ready to do a rebuild on my 74 250 Harescrambler.Looks like the big end bearing is gone.I've looked at Al's site for the tools needed to do the job and I'm wondering what ones I'll need and what could be done without the specialty tools.Any sugestions before I get a tool order together would be appreciated.Thanks, Frosty

Rain Man

Hi Frosty, If your talking about the connecting rod big end bearing, We send the crank out with a rebuild kit to have it repaired by 1 of the suppliers.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Frosty

Thanks Rainman,I plan on sending out crank .I asking about tools needed to remove flywheel,split the cases and put back together.before I order a tool that I don't need I thought I'd ask for ideas,Frosty

John Ehrhart

The only thing I have ever needed for this job is the flywheel puller.  I have a tool to hold the sprocket which has the flywheel holder on the other end, but you can break the sprocket loose by just leaving the chain on and having someone actuate the rear brake.
Of course, the re-assembly is always much more enjoyable...
\\"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.\\"
--Johnny Carson

behindbars

Hi Frosty. If you live near a Parts Unlimited dealer the part number is SS-12.
James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250

wildman

You will need a flywheel puller and most likely a special pusher tool to push the crank out the left side engine case. Sometimes the crank will slide right out but its supossed to be a press fit into the left outer main bearing. Also you may need to remove the inner main bearing races to press the crank and theres another special tool to remove them. You will especially need to remove and replace them if the crank isn't pressed back together EXACTLY the same distance apart, as the crank is shimmed for a proper fit in the cases. Do you have a KTM engine repair manual? It goes into detail. There is also special tools to replace the left outer main bearing and to align the shift forks for reassembling the cases. No special puller is needed to split the cases, they slide right apart, with a little persuasion. Split with left side down, right (ign.) side up. Easy!
 Have fun , good luck and a merry Christmas! Wildman

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

G Ellis

Frosty.. I have some case splitters if you need one. If you need some help rebuilding your motor, I can help you. Email me with your email adress and phone number. Hope I can Help. Gary Ellis

john durrill

Frosty,
 You need the protective end caps to pull the inner main bearings off. I have a new chop saw and will try and machine some up over the Christmass holidays. If you look in the front of the shop manual you can see them.They are listed with all the special tools. They slide over the threaded ends of the crank and keep the ends from damage when the inner race is removed.
John D.

Frosty

Thanks everyone for the part # info and offers of help.I have the manual.I was able to find a parts unlimited dealer 3 blocks from my home.I'm stopping tomorrow to see about the puller.You can't imagine how much this help is appreciated.It is very nice of you to offer the support.I hope someday to be able to return the favors.I'm going to get through the holidays before I start doing the work.I'm trying to get the tools in order before I get started.Thanks again and Merry CHRISTmas to all,Frosty