Six Days Riders - members of POG

Started by fasmith, December 24, 2005, 06:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fasmith

When I saw that Dwight Rudder posts here, I was like a kid... man.. a Six Days rider posting here.. wow..  man.. I was in heaven when the fast boys from Ohio, Michigan, etc, would come down to the south and ride the enduros in SC.  Yes, we had our AA boys, but to see, Cunningham, Mike Melton, Martin, Kevin Hines ride was the best thing next to finding the Salt Lick BBQ place in Austin. If I remember correctly, Dwight rode a enduro in SC once.  To watch the AA boys bust through the woods, well, I was just as happy as if I won the lottery. Those guys had earned the right to wear that helmet.  

So.. I was wondering.. who in the POG are Six Days riders?  

Freddie

tmc3c

We have a real good one right here in the upstate!!Greg Holder and you better belive he is FAST on anything he rides!!

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Harry Heilemann

Hello Freddie
For the most part I'm a lurker here. But, I was a one time wonder who did win a gold medal in the 76 ISDT. Yea, it may have been an easy year but, unlike others, I did obtain a goal in life. That & 99 cents will buy be a Big Mac @ participating McDonalds. Anyway, still riding motorcycles when I can (mostly observed trials) & having fun doing so. Like others, I could'a, should'a been great if (insert excuse here) my parents didn't make me go to college. In reality, more people should have my problems as life is really good. I just wish I could have done more racing & winning in my prime. Everybody wants something they don't have. Oh Well. I see you mention SC. I now reside in Clemson. Give me a yell if you want get together for a ride. You could see some ole fat guy have some fun on a motorcycle.
Harry Heilemann

Dennis Jones

Hey Harry, Good to see you on the site. Sure had a lot of fun the year You, Bob, Myself, and my buddy Rick all won an AHRMA trials championship. I hope to ride with you again sometime.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

TGTech

Freddie:

Are you looking for a list or individual posts from "the guys"? There are a bunch of "us" in the group, but I don't know how many actually post on the board. I do, and of course Paul Danik does, but there are lots more that I don't see here: Of course, the person central to the Penton Owner's Group, John Penton, Jack Penton, Kevin Brown, Carl Cranke, (I think he's in the group) Helmut Classen, Doug Wilford. Those are the one's I can think of off the top of my head. Let's hear from others who've got a better memory than I.

Dane Leimbach

Tony Price

Don't forget that Doug Wilford guy.  He's hung some medals on the wall during the years.

We also have Brian Taylor, Canadian

I know there are more, hopefully teh names will come to me later.....

Tony
Tony

Tony Price

QuoteOriginally posted by fasmith

When I saw that Dwight Rudder posts here, I was like a kid... man.. a Six Days rider posting here.. wow..  man.. I was in heaven when the fast boys from Ohio, Michigan, etc, would come down to the south and ride the enduros in SC.  

This one I just can't resist.

Yep, Dwighty is a Yank.  He's from NORTHERN Mississippi.

Snicker Snicker, Chuckle Chuckle.

I'll duck now.

Tony
Tony

Dwight Rudder

John Penton
Jack Penton
Dane Leimbach
Paul Danik
Harry Heilemann
Doug Wilford
Brian Taylor
Helmut "SPEEDY" Clasen
Mark Seals
Greg Holder
Dwight Rudder
Jeff Fredette
Denny Vandecar
Dave Mungenast
Ray Mungenast
Ron "Illinois Crude" Robozi
Hans Raidel

and I am sure a few I am missing.

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Frenfroe

Harry,

I never knew you won a Gold, or rode the ISDT for that matter. Wow! I hope to hook up with you at the next STRA event we're both at and get you to tell me stories. I knew Charlie was involved in running enduros back when I was a kid and he and I swap stories of the old Cochran Enduro and the local nuts he worked with to keep that event running.

You who've ridden the ISDT are my long-time heroes, Merry Christmas!

Frank Renfroe

fasmith

no.. not so much individual posts, but I realized that there were guys here who had accomplished the goal of qualifying for the Six Days and competed in a Six Days and I wanted to know whom these guys were and to recognize that achievement.  You just don't just show up, pay a fee and get to go to a ISDT. You earn it. And I am proud as hell to know you guys who earned those stripes on the helmet. I am proud to be associated with all the members of the POG also.  This is a pretty damn good bunch of people.  

Freddie

Are you looking for a list or individual posts from "the guys"? There are a bunch of "us" in the group, but I don't know how many actually post on the board. I do, and of course Paul Danik does, but there are lots more that I don't see here: Of course, the person central to the Penton Owner's Group, John Penton, Jack Penton, Kevin Brown, Carl Cranke, (I think he's in the group) Helmut Classen, Doug Wilford. Those are the one's I can think of off the top of my head. Let's hear from others who've got a better memory than I.

Dane Leimbach
[/quote]

fasmith

Thanks!  See - this is what I wanted to know...  guys who been there and represented the USA in a competiton that very few people even realize exists.  No big money, no big contracts but man, to ride in ISDT ..like Frank said..  that's hero status.

I have gone to motocross schools..paid to go these motocross schools, but one year, when Kevin Hines was riding KTMs, in Atlanta, while visiting H&H KTM, Kevin offered to take us on a ride and show us some woods techniques.  All I can say is that was the coolest thing and I learned more in 3 hours than I ever learned in two days of a motocross school.  

Freddie

Quotequote:Originally posted by Harry Heilemann

Hello Freddie
For the most part I'm a lurker here. But, I was a one time wonder who did win a gold medal in the 76 ISDT. Yea, it may have been an easy year but, unlike others, I did obtain a goal in life. That & 99 cents will buy be a Big Mac @ participating McDonalds. Anyway, still riding motorcycles when I can (mostly observed trials) & having fun doing so. Like others, I could'a, should'a been great if (insert excuse here) my parents didn't make me go to college. In reality, more people should have my problems as life is really good. I just wish I could have done more racing & winning in my prime. Everybody wants something they don't have. Oh Well. I see you mention SC. I now reside in Clemson. Give me a yell if you want get together for a ride. You could see some ole fat guy have some fun on a motorcycle.
Harry Heilemann

fasmith

Harry

Yep.. I am a sandlapper from SC.  So you live in Clemson.  I live in Texas now. It is a pretty good palce to live. I can't complain.  Have you gotten your share of the Carolina/Clemson rivaly?  Personally I tend to be more of a clemson fan and my wife graduated from South Carolina, so we get into some name calling occasionally during football season.  However, I do not get near as serious as some people do.  Clemson is pretty good place to live.  

If I get back that way this spring or summer, by all means, I will get in touch and we can do a ride.  I appreciate the offer.  

1976. ISDT. Congratulations!  What bike did you ride?  Got any good stories to share?  

Freddie

Quotequote:Originally posted by Harry Heilemann

Hello Freddie
Harry Heilemann

Young Ted

Lest we forget Iron Man Jeff Fredette.

Dwight Rudder

Are Tom and Jeff members of POG ?
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

tmc3c

We have a real good one right here in the upstate!!Greg Holder and you better belive he is FAST on anything he rides!!

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler